Jag XJ3.2 SPORT FOR MG MONTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by henocsr View Post
    xj's are lovely cars i have driven most of the range, the v12 is a bit of a disapiontment to me though (guess i have been spolit by the supercharged cars) a guy i work with, who has been with jag since 1992, says a 2.9 manual would keep with a 6.0 v12 up to 110. x350 xjr is a great car though i would be happy with a x350 xj8 with the smaller 3.5 v8 (not much between the 3.5 and 4.2 n/a engines)

What puts me off the x308 is the plastic timing chain tensioners which do break up.
    I will have a x351 5.0 supersport one day, i think its the niceset car i have ever driven much better than the xfr. It handles and drives like a much smaller car hwne on the road. I know many people dont like the looks but i think that makes the car more appeling to me.

Would like to try a x300 xjr manual only ever driven autos
    Hi mate,

With regards the V12 engines, it's the way they drive and deliver the performance that makes the overall impression. Sure, if you've driven a supercharged 4.0 it's going to perform quicker and faster, but the V12 does it differently, but still has the 'cat pounces' and smile factor when you want it to perform and has the same limited top speed of 155 mph as the XJR.
    I owned up until recently an XJ40 2.9 automatic until I part exchanged for the 6.0 V12 XJ81 and although they were an alright car, the 2.9 also came with loads of problems and are generally not a desirable engine long term, which is why I let it go. Manual 2.9's and X300 XJR's are rare now as you know and I have not had the chance to drive either of these.

With regards to the X308 well yes they had there problems but the later X350 timing chains and tensioners can be fitted to an X308. Also Nikasil cylinder bore issues blighted the earlier V8 cars but this is not an issue now, as long as the car has been well maintained and compression is good, My X308 still has a Nikasil engine.

I also love the new X351 Jags and if I had the money or won the lottery I'd have a Supersport aswell! I agree with what you say regarding the looks, but I'm also a fan of the way this car looks and I'm glad Jaguar dared to be different from the rest again which is what makes them appealing. I envy you for being able to drive one already!

Comment

Now there is a man that knows his Jag's. I have been on the look out for a 4.2 supercharged XJR as soon as I get shot of the Subaru. Do i have anything to worry about buying one of these?
      I have also looked at a few S type supercharged models and quite like those. What I dont like is all the wood, yes I know these mostly have wood and most people like it but I have seen a few with a darker dash facia which is more for me.

Any info and advise would be fantastic.

Thanks

Simon.

Comment

This thread might be better moved to off topic now as there seems a lot of people interested in the Jaguar xj range.Cheers Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by PIRTEKMAN View Post
          This thread might be better moved to off topic now as there seems a lot of people interested in the Jaguar xj range.Cheers Alan.
          as requested - now moved
          CURRENT FLEET:
          1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
          1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
          1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
          2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
          1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Originally posted by stellaholic View Post
            Now there is a man that knows his Jag's. I have been on the look out for a 4.2 supercharged XJR as soon as I get shot of the Subaru. Do i have anything to worry about buying one of these?
            I have also looked at a few S type supercharged models and quite like those. What I dont like is all the wood, yes I know these mostly have wood and most people like it but I have seen a few with a darker dash facia which is more for me.

Any info and advise would be fantastic.

Thanks

Simon.
            S type r is a nice car but its heavier than the 350 xjr so seems a bit bluted in the performance when compaired, also the spec on the s type is quite often lower ( though the s type could be spec up quite highly) with regards to wood you can get aluminim finished trim on s type and xjr, though the trims can become easliy dented (mostly on drivers door).

S type and xjr are reliable engine and gearbox wise. Rear diffs can leak from the output seals (mostly nearside seals and mostly s type........strange as its the same diff) With all jaguars the suspension bushes are the weak point. front and rear lower damper mounting bushes get excess play, and the rear lower suspension arms suffer from excess play on inner bushes (which are only available as a complete lower arm assembly...which is only around £300 for one)

Front tyres wear heavly on inner edges even when tracked right, alloy wheels also buckle supriusing easy

the all alumium 350 XJ can have corrosion on many areas so have a good look around. S type r doesnt seem to have corrosion issues.

Service history is of course a must. every 10,000 miles. fuel filter at 60,000 and spark plugs at 100,000.

good luck with your hunt, i would advise a pre face lift xjr x350 if it was my money

Comment

Working...
            X