Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

Hi all, not been about for a few months due to some "changes" in my personal life. (translates as crazy stalker pyscho ex girlfriend )
    As a result my turbo was hidden away and forgotten for a while.
    However she is now ready to come back out and resume where i left off.

The last part i need to find is a fuel tank. The turbo on ebay for breaking has a tank, but they are not prepared to remove it and send it to essex.
    my question is this, is anyone near oxford prepared to pop along and remove this enabling me to arrange a courier to collect it?
    I will of course pay for the tank and for someones time etc.

Thanks guys

Rather than risk paying out for a used tank that way or may not be any good.
    Would it not be better to buy one of the new 1.6 single outlet tanks and convert it for use on a turbo?.

At least then you would have a rust free tank?

Mal.

Comment

That idea did enter my mind, but i didnt know how different they are?

Comment

1.6 Fuel tanks do not have a return pipe as per turbo and EFI tanks.
        There is also the issue of the Swirl pot.
        Pretty sure Dan or Jeff can fill you in on what's needed to convert a NOS 1.6 tank to Turbo / EFI spec.

Comment

I had also thought of doing this. I was quoted £55 to clean out mine but I asked the company if they would fit a swirl pot and various bits to a 1.6 new tank and they said " anythings possible" Would be nice if it worked .

Comment

I know someone that can modify it for it, he's done countless cortina tanks in the past when I've converted them to efi. Just wasn't sure what I'd need him to do.

Comment

My thought was that they would cut a hole out ot the top of new tank and somehow weld the pot in place and also the same with the return pipe. The cut out piece could then be seem welded back on. Dont know if it would all distort being only thin metal. I'm not really sure what it all looks like inside the tank though and how easy it'd be not to mention how much to get it done. Also would need a new tank lol!

Comment

I think the trick is to drill then weld on a return line in the right place, and settle for an external swirl pot.

Comment

Yes that is what I've done on some engine conversions (van and car).
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I was quoted £300 for my tank to be cut open at the baffle - cleaned properly and welded up again and painted and posted back to me from a vintage car restorer in London. I'm seriously considering cutting open the tank myself and getting a fabricator to weld the tank back up for a fraction of the cost. I have two turbo fuel tanks - if it goes pair shaped at least I will have another.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

For £300 you could probably get a new tank made!
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

A New Old Stock tank for the late 1.6 cars can be bought for 80.00.
                        I doubt it would cost a lot to get a return pipe fitted, and source the correct style of swirl pot .

Comment

I would have though, it would be less expensive to have an unused tank modified as there isn't the risk of explosion. Does the turbo actually need a swirl pot? I know it has the high pressure fuel system to the pressure regulator ,but if it actually sucked some air up would it matter as the carb still has the float chamber full.
                          Could the high pressure system be done away with and just have a facet pump in the engine bay supplying the carb and no return pipe.
                          The aftermarket turbo conversions on the metro didn't use the high pressure system of the factory cars

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                            A New Old Stock tank for the late 1.6 cars can be bought for 80.00.
                            I doubt it would cost a lot to get a return pipe fitted, and source the correct style of swirl pot .
                            Do they have fuel gauge senders MAL?

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	swirl pot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	289340 I found this image on google. Hope I've not stole it from anyone I never thought of having an external swirl pot Mal! Good idea and I think there would be room to fit it as well. I saw one on ebay but think there are too many outlets. Cant quite get my head round exactly how it works. As I understand, the warm fuel from the return line enters the swirl pot venturi slowing it down I guess. The cooler fuel in the tank enters the pot also and is picked up by the pick up pipe and is fed to the fuel vapouriser and carb. I'm sure I read that some type of depression is created in the pot but not really too sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Fuel...item51b53bf609

Dont know what would be cheaper, getting the original re fitted in a new tank or buying an external one.
                              Will be nice to see if anyone manages this. There must be a few of us needing a new tank for our 20i or turbo. I'm not yet at the stage of sorting out my fuel tank but it's on my list of things to do. Hope we can get something sorted

Comment

Working...
                              X