No announcement yet.

Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it would work fine with just a fuel return with a 1600 tank? Remember the turbos already have a small swirl pot near the carb. There was a video of the swirl pot working in a cut open tank on this forum a wee while ago - where is it?

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

I think I'll just try the external swirl pots. They seem to do the job the same way and it'll be less grief I'd imagine.

Comment

"Bare" Tanks to the best of my knowledge Mike.

Comment

Yes there is already a swirl pot under the bonnet so I'm not too sure on the need to have both! On an EFI it is more important than the turbo too (but areguably when the turbo gets fuel starved the consequences are more serious).

On the T16 conversions we ran an EFI tank. On the O turbo van conversion we used a standard 1.3 tank modded and the underbonnet swirl pot. No fuel issues on either.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

In desperate need of a new tank - this one is toast....

Anyone require close up pics of the swirl pot etc. - go to my website as I will upload some more.

Comment

For more pictures of the inside of a turbo tank go here

Comment

so thats what it looks like then?? Thanks for posting Mike

Comment

I think thats made my mind up about getting a new tank. Cant believe the state of that. Looks like an old ship thats been under the sea for years. The filter is very clean though. I wonder if the bits of rust get sucked against it though reducing the fuel going to the pump? Very good pics! Cheers mike

Comment

Originally posted by wee_dav View Post
                    I think thats made my mind up about getting a new tank. Cant believe the state of that. Looks like an old ship thats been under the sea for years. The filter is very clean though. I wonder if the bits of rust get sucked against it though reducing the fuel going to the pump? Very good pics! Cheers mike
                    That's what my brg efi done, and then started clogging pumps and fuel lines

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_stu View Post
                      That's what my brg efi done, and then started clogging pumps and fuel lines
                      Yeah thats not good. Would be very hard to clear the system after that

Comment

Remember guys this particular tank has sat idle for over a decade. I wouldn't right your tank off unless it's sat that long - this is an extreme case.

Comment

Mine sat for a couple of years and never drove right when I took it out of storage. I always wondered if there was rust clogging the pick up pipe cause it would idle ok then cut out when accelerating. It got gradually better but still when putting foot down, it holds back. I'm gonna fit new boost sensing pipe and fpr 1st but if this doesnt work I will look at tank

Comment

I can't quite tell how deep the corrosion is in that tank but unless it has gone through the tank (or almost) then it is perfectly repairable. Blast clean it and then coat with a propriatory tank sealer. If the top of the tank is off then you can make sure the swirl pot pipes don't get clogged with the tank sealant. As the tank is a fairly simple shape it isn't impossible to get a new one made up if you really get stuck and can't find another one. I've got a stack of tanks in the garage but I think they are all non efi tanks.

Comment

Hi Dave - if you suspect your tank I would open it up but definitely not the way I done it. You only need two separate 3"x3" holes opened up either side of the baffle - preferably one above the swirl pot. Steam clean the tank and you should be able to reach all points of the tank with less welding. A fuel pressure gauge will determine any flow problems I would of thought?

Hi Dan - the tanks gone - certainly not worth the cost of fabricating it back up. I have a new 1600 tank already sourced. Just going add a fuel return to the system and not bother about the swirl pot like you suggest. Thanks for offering a replacement tank - but we're okay. The part arrived in the post today - thank you for that. Your an interesting/handy chap to know - cheers

mike

Comment

Glad to hear the part has gone to a good cause.

I'd go for the 1.6 tank option too. Get a length of steel pipe and put a 90 degree bend in it and then drill a hole on the top corner (next to the vent pipe from memory). Insert the pipe and position it so that the pipe outlet is at the bottom of the tank and cut a slight angle on the pipe to prevent the bottom of the tank from blocking it. Then re-insert it and simply weld around it. Slip a hose over the end and bingo - one fuel return sorted.

If you do got fuel starvation issues (and I don't think you will) then simply fit an external swirl pot under the car next to the tank (there is plenty of room).

Comment

Working...
                                X