Ownership Concerns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership Concerns?

I;ve been offered a VVC converted metro from someone I know.

The car has been in storage but the owner failed to settle the storage fees after the 2 year point. Once it had built up a fair amount of arrears (estimated at £380) this person I know claimed the V5 with no issues and wishes to sell the car to recoup the outstanding money.

Apart from the fact he's being a bit greedy with the price has anyone got any advice regarding the legalities about buying the car.

I know the V5 isn't the legal ownership paperwork and I believe unless the storage owner has a contract stating that the property will be seized and sold to cover costs the previous owner could rightly claim his car back?

Whats your thoughts or views please.
    Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
    1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
    1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
    1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

I'm afraid I can't can't help you on the ownership front, but interested to know where can you store a car for £190 a year?

Comment

In this respect I think that the storage owner is invoking a legal lien. This is a term that is defined as an encumbrance on one person's property to secure a debt, that the property owner owes to another person. Any business can invoke a lien if they are due payments and have some of the payees property that they can use to recover their losses.

In that respect I think/believe that it is all perfectly legal. However, seeing some sort of contract relating to the storage or at the very least a written and signed statement by the storage owner of how he came to take ownership and then onwardly sell to you, such that you would not be financially impacted if the original owner tried to recover his car, then you should be OK.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

The car has been stored in a barn on a farm! The farm owner most likely wont have a contract, just word of mouth for the arrangement!

He is wanting 2k for the car. I've checked with the guys on metro power and they think 3-600 is more realistic as there is no history, tax or test.

Cheers for your input, I will message the seller and see how it pans out.
        Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
        1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
        1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
        1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

Working...
        X