Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam

To the webmaster.

It seems the club email address files have been hacked and addresses stolen by spammers.

I use 'disposable addresses' and the one used for the club started to receive spam a few months ago. On 5 April I changed the address to a new unique one to avoid the spam.

This new address started to receive spam on 26 April and continues to do so meaning that the files must have been accessed by spammers.

Originally posted by gawhiting View Post
    To the webmaster.

It seems the club email address files have been hacked and addresses stolen by spammers.

I use 'disposable addresses' and the one used for the club started to receive spam a few months ago. On 5 April I changed the address to a new unique one to avoid the spam.

This new address started to receive spam on 26 April and continues to do so meaning that the files must have been accessed by spammers.
    I have voiced your concerns and will get back to you when I know anything.
    Thanks for the heads up
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

We can't seen to find anything at our end, but will keep looking

Comment

Sorry to say I don't enough how these things work. All I can do is report whats happened.
        I've changed my registered email address again to day to see if the new one gets hacked.
        I'll let you know if it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gawhiting View Post
          Sorry to say I don't enough how these things work. All I can do is report whats happened.
          I've changed my registered email address again to day to see if the new one gets hacked.
          I'll let you know if it is.
          No problem

Comment

If by spam you mean unsolicited mail coming to your email but no mention of this forum it could be that the spammers have guessed your email address?? If it's something like johnsmith1@hotmail etc then the spamming people send thousands of these emails out to random names so that one would be easy to guess, try choosing a difficult to guess email like j0hn65sm1th21@ Hotmail etc it will be almost impossible to be auto generated by the scammers computers so you'd be less likely to be sent scam mail. This is only of use if you never use the address for anything else. I hope this makes sense!

Comment

Yes I do mean spam in that form.
              It is very unlikely that this is a guess. The email address was created solely for this website and the only email received to it was the test acknowledgement when registering the change on 23 May.

It seems the site is still being hacked as today the first spam email to the new address was received !

Comment

No one else is reporting receiving any more spam. There's no trace of hacking in the forum. I'd be more inclined to believe your PC may have a virus or spyware which is detecting your newly set up email addresses.

Comment

I have experienced the same. Just twigged. I thought it was odd I was getting SPAM to a new email address.
                  Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Y View Post
                    No one else is reporting receiving any more spam. There's no trace of hacking in the forum. I'd be more inclined to believe your PC may have a virus or spyware which is detecting your newly set up email addresses.
                    I know it is hard to say to be certain but I think my PC is clear. The first spam mail to the unique address used for the club was on 27 May last year. I waited to be sure there was a problem before letting you know. Next time I change the address I’ll use a different machine. And would a competent hacker who had only come to steal leave a trace?

The spam mails to the club address only average about five a week so maybe that is why you may not have other reports (until Beaker’s ?). The spam subject headings are mainly to say my (non existent) paypal account has been limited or are to do with "cards".

Years back I used to get over fifty spam emails a day and in October 2004 started to use AddressGuard to find where my email addresses were leaking. Over the years I’ve been able clear this up and now get very few. In the month of May I received 39 spam mails. Only two were not from the leaked addresses used for the club.

Comment

Me too

Hi, not been here in a very long time as my Montego died many years ago

Just popped by to see if his issue was being discussed and to add a "me too"

The email address I used for this site is a unique address ONLY used here

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a rash of 'phising' emails all sent to the email address that I have only ever used here

They are looking for bank details in one, amazon login in another, paypal login in another etc etc

not good guys

Comment

Working...
                      X