FAO webmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO webmaster

Have you seen the post in off topic containing member email addresses and passwords?

The list only contains e-mail and an encrypted password (which is useless). However not good though.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroTD View Post
      Have you seen the post in off topic containing member email addresses and passwords?
      Yes we've all seen it. Unfortunately I personally don't have the know how to fix this
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Who is the webmaster?

It is a serious data protection leak.

If needs be I can do it - I would rather not but I have the know how to do so.

Upgrade licence for vbulletin is £136.71 if you decide to stick with it. My understanding is it is not the best on offer nowadays though.
        Last edited by Beaker; 2nd September 2015, 12:05.
        Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

What is the news on this?
          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Chris is working on it
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
              The list only contains e-mail and an encrypted password (which is useless). However not good though.
              despite being hashed and salted there were a handful which I saw were exposed on a forum, and that's not to say more weren't and just not posted.

Mandatory password reset should be in order once the hole is closed.

PS i notice this forum use the tapatalk plugin which increases the attack surface

Comment

"Hashed and salted"....Hmmm..you know your stuff?? URL please.

>>Mandatory password reset should be in order once the hole is closed.<<

Yes.
                1989 MG Maestro Turbo #413

1986 MG Maestro EFi - Dead but still here
                1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 L - Dead and in heaven

2001 Rover 75 CDT (Daily Runner)

Comment

Originally posted by Mat_C View Post
                  "Hashed and salted"....Hmmm..you know your stuff?? URL please.

>>Mandatory password reset should be in order once the hole is closed.<<

Yes.
                  https://insidepro.com/viewtopic.php?...ba2f679354e4a2

For example cbf25a5dfcd27656b9da96bf523bf09e:supertedaPu

It's a simple matter to then cross reference the hash with the original dump to get the email address.

After the colon you can see the exposed password and you will also notice the format includes 3 random letters at the end of the password, that's the 3 character random salt which vBulletin uses.

edit - excellent link if you're interested in knowing more about hashes/salts etc. It does mention there that 3 characters is a bit short for a good salt.

https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm#attacks
                  Last edited by Uhtred; 7th September 2015, 09:22.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like people have been busy with their GPUs / BitCoin ASICs.

We've already gone through googling hashes and pswd resets on the other thread

P.S: I'm OK with the hashing/salting etc. SHA3

Comment

Seems people even use facebook to post hashes!?

https://www.facebook.com/aymankhalfa...16000458584972

As previously mentioned, In the highly unlikely event that you've re-used your forum password for FB, PayPal etc I would get changing quickly!

EDIT : To clarify, the above only applies if FB/PayPal accounts use the same e-mail as well.
                      Last edited by Mat_C; 7th September 2015, 12:48.

Comment

There needs to be an 'official' mass email via the forum software to notify everyone!

Comment

Here's what I've done so far:

Updated to vB 3.8.9 latest version - clean install of /forums directory.
                          Changed mySQL password
                          Deactivated the blog (unable to update it)
                          Got rid of photopost_gallery and photopost_classifieds - both vulnerable to attacks and out of date / not forwards compatible.

In particular, I found an exploit / backdoor script within photopost_gallery, from 10th July 2015.

Comment

Hi Chris,

How do I delete my account and personal information from your databases entirely?
                            The Control Panel seems to offer no way to delete an account which is a poor show. :/

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

Update:

I've also got rid of Tapatalk, just in case it was the attack vector.

Password expiry has been enabled, which means anyone logging on now will be asked to change their password.

And everyone's registered email has been sent a notification of the compromised database.

To answer the question above - vBulletin doesn't provide a way for a user to delete their account so if anyone wants to be removed just reply here or send me a PM and I will delete them (no undo facility!).

Comment

Working...
                              X