Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Views needed on M&MOC working more closely/joining forces with other BL/ARG clubs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Views needed on M&MOC working more closely/joining forces with other BL/ARG clubs.

The Maestro & Montego Owners Club is a small club run by a small committee the majority of who work and have limited time to devote to the club. This presents several challenges when trying to keep the club active and vibrant and being able to offer members everything that they would like. I know that a some other British Leyland/Austin Rover Group clubs are in a similar position and that there are advantages (and I'm sure disadvantages) to us working more closely together/joining forces. I guess this could be anything from an informal relationship with some clubs (which to some degree we already have) to a much more formal umbrella arrangement or possible merger with one or more clubs and every possibility in between. From what I know, there is already the Joint Rover Clubs (http://www.jointroverclubs.org.uk/) available to Rover clubs and the Morris Vehicles Associations (can't find a website) for Morris clubs. There was also the Austin and Longbridge Federation (http://www.austinlongbridgefederation.co.uk/) although that is now dormant. My understanding is that the JRC do a bit more together than the MVA, although I know little about either.

My personal take on this which is likely to change as more pros and cons of working together more closely come to light would be to look for a structure not dissimilar to the MG Car Club (http://www.mgcc.co.uk/). Their structure is a main council which then has the various registers reporting into to. There is one monthly magazine which covers the entire club and has an entry from each register but each register is free to do their own newsletter. Each register also holds their own banks accounts, have a committee and most importantly their own identity. They attend events with their own identity or join with other registers. The club has one insurance policy which covers all the registers. In this scenario, each BL/ARG club would be a equivalent to a MGCC register. Obviously, our clubs would retain their name and identity but fall under the main umbrella organisation.

I guess my aim is to keep our identity (well, all BL/ARG clubs identities) while being able to reduce costs, be able to share policies etc, so saving volunteer man hours and where possible and gain better coverage for the cars. What I am most concerned about with clubs like ours is their sustainability and resilience and improving that.

Regardless of which way (if any) we go with joining with other BL/ARG clubs which clubs do you think we should look to work with?
    How to do see us working with other club? What should that relationship look like?
    What do you think the pros and cons of closer working are?
    What other comments do you have about this/what points have I not put down?

I am planning a meeting either straight before or straight after the AGM in November for everyone to discuss this matter. I would be looking to this meeting, comments on this thread and comments from members who have contacted the committee directly about this matter to inform the committee's view on this matter.

I look forward to your views and ideas on the matter.
    Last edited by Tanya; 22nd August 2016, 19:48.

I would be fine with this, its a good idea. More the merrier as they say. Suppose it would also be also a question of would other clubs work with us? Be a case of people that are members/use other BL forums of putting the word out first I guess.
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      I would be fine with this, its a good idea. More the merrier as they say. Suppose it would also be also a question of would other clubs work with us? Be a case of people that are members/use other BL forums of putting the word out first I guess.
      Yes, a lot will depend on what other clubs want from this sort of arrangement too. I have contacts in quite a few of the clubs, so I'll make them aware of this thread

Comment

How about trying the metro club for starters, they are MMs closest relative

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          That's my thought too. They're are top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            From what I'm lead to believe, they have a few problems of their own.
            The problem i see is if we join together with other clubs it'll end up fragmented as some won't like it. Most clubs have there own problems and I can see our club being drawn in to them.
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I personally feel that the club should remain independent. It seems to me that after a period of decline the club is once again generating interest and also new members. Anyone who was at Peterborough will have seen the great display the club had, probably there were more cars on the stand than for some time. I also feel that we now have people in the club who are genuinely interested in taking it forward and making it a success. There will always be those who resist change, but they are a minority and must realise that the club is a different place now, with the old guard having gone. I for one am passionate about our cars and have seen first hand the interest they generate at shows.

Ray
              MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
              Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
              MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Working with other clubs - yes something I've always advocated with limited amounts of success. Sadly not all clubs had the same view...

Merging and swallowing other clubs - Something I'd avoid unless it is a last ditch attempt to remain alive.

I'd certainly look at the JRC umbrella organisation which may be useful, but I don't think you'll find any significant reduction in overheads, but every little helps as they say.

www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Is this club not covered under the group FBHVC PLI policy? If not I would consider looking at this as an option.
                  Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker View Post
                    Is this club not covered under the group FBHVC PLI policy? If not I would consider looking at this as an option.
                    No. I have checked with the FBHVC and what they say they offer is a very competitive PLI scheme which we can look into at renewal which is October.

Comment

I would be interesting to know membership numbers of clubs with the potential to merge. I would guess we wouldn't want to be 'swallowed' by a large club. I was thinking about the metro owners club too. Does anyone have experience of this club? I heard they had problems but I thought that had been resolved.

Comment

I am a member of the Metro Owners Club but not an active one. However, I am planning to attend their AGM in October and one of their committee members has asked me if I would like to address their members at this meeting. I am happy to do so but it will be along the lines of saying that we're having this discussion in M&MOC and what are their views on the matter.

I am aware that the MOC has had a couple of difficult years but my understanding is that they're on the way up.

If I do get to their AGM (it clashes with my twins birthday, so I think I might need to do some negotiation to get there) I will report back the general flavour of MOC members responses.

Comment

Originally posted by kobe View Post
                          I would be interesting to know membership numbers of clubs with the potential to merge. I would guess we wouldn't want to be 'swallowed' by a large club. I was thinking about the metro owners club too. Does anyone have experience of this club? I heard they had problems but I thought that had been resolved.
                          I was in the metro owners club a few years ago when I had mine it was a good club , but I did hear from a few members at BL day last year it had gone down hill .

Comment

All I can say being a member of several car clubs , that I have found this one to be extremely helpful and friendly. If survival is dependent on collaboration so be it. However I feel great progress is being made already. I guess the question is what we can do as members to support the club we love?

Comment

OK here's my ten-penneth... I think groups like the Metro Owners Club and the FWD register from MG Car Club are obvious choices for co-operation with (all representing the Maestro - Metro - Montego family). Other clubs which have a more wide remit for Austin and Rover cars, will also have members with Maestros and Montegos, so I'd be in favour of joint events etc. with them too.

It is true that some members in this club are trying to be a bit more active, and that's great.

Being a member of a local car club (and having been a member of national clubs for other marques of car) all clubs are facing up to two big issues -

1. Aging membership, and
                              2. A lot of 'social members' who are not active when it comes to shows, gatherings or runs.

Now I speak only for myself and I am not aiming any comments here at any specific members here. I know life is busy and we don't always have time to be active with this club (or others).
                              With, for want of a better phrase "bricks and mortar" clubs (either pre-WWW or those who don't use the technology much) I often wonder why some people join when you never see them at events. Our club has (and continues to) develop it's online presence and a space/community where we can all have a chat, ask advice, and plan get-togethers.

At the end of the day (terrible cliche!) I would like to see this club continue, and those cars which we currently own and use, continue to grace the roads. Hopefully those folk who have projects lurking in the garage will be encouraged and supported (as I have been) by other members to increase the numbers of road-worthy Maestros and Montegos.

All the Best

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X