Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Views needed on M&MOC working more closely/joining forces with other BL/ARG clubs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comments indeed. It's a tricky one. I have a few thoughts.
    1. Many of us here were members of the Triple-M community (Metro, Maestro, Montego). These cars are an obvious fit as they are all from the same era and share many parts. I see there being no downsides to bringing the Metros on board.
    2. Joining the umbrella MGCC group. On paper this seems another simple choice where we get the benefits of their larger organisation but without losing our identity. BUT, as I am also a member of the MGOC, the other eras of Austin/Rover/MG cars often ignore the 80's models and have no interest in them (although I suspect this is slowly changing). I think we would lose a small bit of our identity to the outside world, but maybe we would gain members and credibility from the extra exposure.
    3. Merging with later Rover clubs. I think the differences here would be too large. Our cars are in a different stage of their lives to the later Rovers and the needs of members are very different.

Just thoughts.

Ian
    Ian Drew
    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
    MG ZT V8
    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Hi Ian

I agree with your comments, though I wasn't suggesting merging with other groups, just closer collaboration on shows.
      I mentioned Rover, and Austin clubs as I don't want those members of M&MOC who own and run non-MGs to feel left out/under-represented

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

I tend to agree with Seyshellkenton on this.

Regarding the Joint Rover Clubs, I might be wrong on this, but I believe it focuses on car clubs covering the Rover marque itself and respective Rover models, such as P5, SD1, 200/400, 800 Series, etc. I believe it also covers some Land Rover clubs as Land Rover was obviously a product/creation of the independent Rover Company Ltd. I don't believe the JRC covers what are essentially 'orphaned' models such as Mini, Metro, etc.

Looking at the JRC model, it has certainly helped to improve exposure for smaller model-specific Rover clubs and also seen greater joint efforts in promoting the appeal of the Rover marque itself, as evidenced by the "Rover Village" at the 2014 Classic Motor Show whereby nearly all the Rover clubs in attendance were parked next to each other. The same approach will also be evidenced at next year's Rover Fest which will celebrate fifty years of the Rover V8 engine being used in a Rover car, but will also be supported by those Rover clubs where a V8 engine was not offered in their respective model/s.

As for the MG clubs, admittedly I have previously had poor relations with both main MG clubs when my MG Maestro was on the road through not being made to feel welcome at events etc., although I recognise that in the case of the MG Car Club things have noticeably improved in the last two or three years. Despite this, I would question whether an association with any MG club would show the same level of commitment to non-MG variants of the Maestro and Montego as not everyone owns, wants or likes the MG versions. You also have to consider how would the members of the 'parent' MG club react to this.

Even though I have two MGs myself - an MG Maestro patiently awaiting restoration and a late build MG ZR - I personally have no affection for the MG marque, so would find an over-bearing link with an MG club to be too restrictive. I would at the same time be expected to "fly the flag for MG" and everything the marque stands for; again, something that I would not be comfortable with. In conclusion, this particular route would need an awful lot of ongoing research and careful handling to ensure that those not into the MG scene or liking the marque do not feel ostracised.

It is almost as if a British Leyland or Austin Rover Club (or a combination of both) is needed to bring together constituent models such as Maestro/Montego, Metro, and possibly other clubs such as Marina, Allegro and Princess whereby they all benefit from the same facilities such as Public Liability Insurance and an active committee. But at the same time they have autonomy when it comes to finances, register-style committees and the ability to organise model specific displays/stands at various organised events, including at a regional/local level. This might help to rejuvenate life in some model clubs that are suffering from declining membership numbers and a lack of committee interest, while even potentially creating new national and regional outlets for owners who don't find sufficient existing support (e.g. a regional club covering the Austin Allegro).

Alternatively, perhaps a Joint Rover Clubs style approach is needed whereby there is a joint association between clubs rather than a more formal link-up?

Just my thoughts...

Comment

I tend to agree with Seyshellkenton on this.

Regarding the Joint Rover Clubs, I might be wrong on this, but I believe it focuses on car clubs covering the Rover marque itself and respective Rover models, such as P5, SD1, 200/400, 800 Series, etc. I believe it also covers some Land Rover clubs as Land Rover was obviously a product/creation of the independent Rover Company Ltd. I don't believe the JRC covers what are essentially 'orphaned' models such as Mini, Metro, etc.

Looking at the JRC model, it has certainly helped to improve exposure for smaller model-specific Rover clubs and also seen greater joint efforts in promoting the appeal of the Rover marque itself, as evidenced by the "Rover Village" at the 2014 Classic Motor Show whereby nearly all the Rover clubs in attendance were parked next to each other. The same approach will also be evidenced at next year's Rover Fest which will celebrate fifty years of the Rover V8 engine being used in a Rover car, but will also be supported by those Rover clubs where a V8 engine was not offered in their respective model/s.

As for the MG clubs, admittedly I have previously had poor relations with both main MG clubs when my MG Maestro was on the road through not being made to feel welcome at events etc., although I recognise that in the case of the MG Car Club things have noticeably improved in the last two or three years. Despite this, I would question whether an association with any MG club would show the same level of commitment to non-MG variants of the Maestro and Montego as not everyone owns, wants or likes the MG versions. You also have to consider how would the members of the 'parent' MG club react to this.

Even though I have two MGs myself - an MG Maestro patiently awaiting restoration and a late build MG ZR - I personally have no affection for the MG marque, so would find an over-bearing link with an MG club to be too restrictive. I would at the same time be expected to "fly the flag for MG" and everything the marque stands for; again, something that I would not be comfortable with. In conclusion, this particular route would need an awful lot of ongoing research and careful handling to ensure that those not into the MG scene or liking the marque do not feel ostracised.

It is almost as if a British Leyland or Austin Rover Club (or a combination of both) is needed to bring together constituent models such as Maestro/Montego, Metro, and possibly other clubs such as Marina, Allegro and Princess whereby they all benefit from the same facilities such as Public Liability Insurance and an active committee. But at the same time they have autonomy when it comes to finances, register-style committees and the ability to organise model specific displays/stands at various organised events, including at a regional/local level. This might help to rejuvenate life in some model clubs that are suffering from declining membership numbers and a lack of committee interest, while even potentially creating new national and regional outlets for owners who don't find sufficient existing support (e.g. a regional club covering the Austin Allegro).

Alternatively, perhaps a Joint Rover Clubs style approach is needed whereby there is a joint association between clubs rather than a more formal link-up?

Just my thoughts...

Comment

I agree with David that the Maxi, Allegro, Marina and Princess (Wedge) Clubs (as the Maestro/Montego are their direct descendants and are equally as rare!) would be a good starting point for collaboration (not merger). We have a lot more in common with them than the Rover and MG groups in more ways than one... I think working will the clubs that support the less popular cars that BMC/BL/AR produced can only be a good thing...

As a start can I suggest that we speak to those particular clubs and exchange dates of meetings so we can attend some of their meets as well (if they are agreeable)... As a BL/BMC/AR fan I'd love top do that! As an example I attend the local Moggie Club's annual meet as an "other" - to use their description - car!
            Last edited by Hobby; 3rd September 2016, 09:27.

Comment

Working...
            X