Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible forum downtime

Hi folks,

In the next few days, the forum is moving to another web server. Various things like forum attachments and the galleries are taking up a lot more room than we expected, so we need to move the site to provide us with the room to expand and grow.

It may also give us the opportunity to upgrade our version of the forum software at the same time.

Anyway, at some point we'll need to close down the forum briefly while the database is moved to the new server.

This may happen today (25th) later on in the afternoon, if I get time to work on it properly.

Sorry for any disruption and/or withdrawal symptoms this may cause

Are we moving away from Xilo then?

I know the server (golf) we are on at the moment is being shut down and everyone has been requested to move (which will also gives you your full allocation of hard drive space that is being paid for when moved - golf restricted this to near half). Seems silly to move elsewhere for more space when we can just move to Xilo's new server and get double?

As I notified Jon this version of the software is due to be no longer supported so it makes sense to upgrade. Whilst paying the upgrade fee can consideration be given to the blog software? It will be similiar to what we used to have as the garage and allow each of us to document our cars projects.

Could you also please fix our mail servers at the same time, so we can use webmail/pop3 correctly?

Hope it all goes as planned.
    Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Whoa, time out Lindz! We never said we were moving away from Xilo. In fact, we're doing what you suggest, moving to Indigo. Guess we'll see you there, huh?

Not sure we're likely to go down the route of POP3/webmail either - it'll still remain as forwards for the forseeable future.

Comment

Slightly short notice perhaps, but I'm going to do the forum move at 9pm tonight. There will be an outage of about 1hr40m, perhaps slightly longer.

Comment

Forums are now back on. That isn't the whole move done by any means, but it's a pretty big component.

Any problems you find which may be related to the move, please post here.

Comment

Classifieds dont work!

Comment

Now fixed I forgot to upload a file.

Comment

Seems pretty good to me - I didn't even know it was happening cos didn't get on till late - and haven't found anything behaving differently.
                Great job and thanks for the effort that's put in - those of us who aren't really computer literate tend to be oblivious that a lot of work goes into maintaining the excellent website and forum,which I think are just as important as Monstro in keeping everyone in touch.
                Last edited by BikerGran; 25th August 2008, 22:36.

Comment

I knew it was going 2 happen, but i didnt know it already had!

Comment

well that was painless I didn't feel a thing

Well done all!
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker
                      Could you also please fix our mail servers at the same time, so we can use webmail/pop3 correctly?
                      Do club members now get a maestro.org.uk email address?

All seems fine from this end, thanks for the hard work Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM
                        I like the sound of that!

And yeh, fine on this end Chris - Top man!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM
                          No, I'm afraid not. Not yet anyways.

Comment

There may be some more downtime this evening as I'm moving some other parts of the site around, but any outage is only expected to last about 2 minutes or less, so no one should notice, unless I screw up somehow.

I'll post here before I start, and if there are any errors shown on the site after that, please post here to let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Y
                              There may be some more downtime this evening as I'm moving some other parts of the site around, but any outage is only expected to last about 2 minutes or less, so no one should notice, unless I screw up somehow.
                              Ok, I'm about to do this now. Going to synchronising some files first, so may not happen immediately. I'll post again when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                              X