Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Brighton

Hi Everyone

Firstly, thank you to all of the welcome messages and kind words that have appeared today on the thread montego 1.6L where I have made a couple of posts after today's purchase! As promised here is a bit of info about how in the last 2 weeks I've gone from no monstros to two!

I've always been into cars and have been lucky enough to have owned a fair few over the years but my heart has always been with the mini. I was bought my first one at 12 to shut me up and I've always had a couple in the background no matter where the classic car fancy of the day has led me.

I was born in 1984 and my 30th is in August. I decided to look out for something from 84 to have a kitch toy for the summer. Somehow the maestro LVL 618Y ended up on my ebay watched items amongst hundreds of other obscurities I seem to watch. I was in the pub after work two weeks last Friday when I got an alert that that auction was ending shortly. I opened it up (probably bored with the conversation around me) and I have no idea what possessed me to enter a bid but I did. It was at £623.50 I think and I bid £666.66 with 30 seconds to go not for one minute thinking id get it. Wrong. £643.66 later it was mine!

An afterthought was to look where in the world it was... Only 200 miles away - well at least it wasn't Scotland I suppose. Excited with my purchase I called the usual suspects to see who fancied a trip to collect it... I drew a blank . Apparently it didn't excite enough for a free day out in my company. Undettered I made arrangements to go it alone the following weekend with a trailer.

In the mean time that weekend was the Brooklands show which I went along to and met Tanya. She gave such a warm reception that I was quietly a little bit pleased that the club may be a nice place to be and I'm pleased that today's reception has reinforced that. In the week preceding collection I did some research on the car and ascertained that it was chassis number SAXXCMWY1AM/116196 reg on 11/04/83. A check with BMHT confirmed that it's build date is 07/03/83.

On collection i was very surprised that the car actually was as good as described. The body is solid with no evidence of welding underneath. Original sills, some historic paintwork rectification on the the arches but nothing scary. A mint interior and headlining. There are a couple of superficial Bubbles and scabs which are small and surface only so don't detract - however very easy fix. She runs well and is surprisingly very nice to drive. I will post some pics over the weekend.

Despite being bizarrely pleased with my new purchase I couldn't help thinking if I'd like something from 84 too. I thought it may be nice to have a montego as a stable mate but my initial findings from the last week were that it's hard enough to find a montego for sale let alone one from 84! Fast forward to today and I saw the thread about A122 TOO which was just that. Impulsively and with little thought in the Starbucks que I fired off a message to the seller with my details. We ended up talking on the phone and within minutes I was another £400 worse off! It turns out it's located about an hour from where the maestro was from so another trip up the M1 with a trailer I think.

It's on SORN since I think November he said but it has MOT to 22/08 (ironically my 30th birthday!) I asked him to send me the chassis number which is SAXXEMLY7AM102477 and this was registered on 24/04/84.

So there's the story so far... It was always my intention to get to the POL day and do the run in the maestro and I'm well on the way to that happening. I've taxed it and it's booked in for a check over and service next week. However, a bit of me is thinking it might be nice to have the montego there (as well?!) but as we stand it's 200 miles away and not running - watch this space!!

I've joined the club and ironically membership pack was on the door mat tonight.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone in the south east as I'm well up for any social meets with cars! Also, some feedback on where both of my cars fall in terms of ranking on earliest known... Is the montego the earliest one?

I look forward to meeting you all as the year rocks on and if you've made it this far in reading well done!

John Boi

welcome

welcome john,see you at p o l.
    Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Hello and welcome!

I don't think I've seen anyone make such a dramatic entrance on here before! Not one, but two prime examples - and such early examples! They are arguably the best colours for the bread and butter models too - think of the jibes you'll get at car shows from owners of 'better' marques when you roll up in a beige Maestro!

I seem to remember that subtracting 100,001 from the chassis number will give you a build number for the car. (Good to see you've already been on to BMIHT - they'll do you a Heritage Certificate for both cars...) The chassis numbers didn't start at 000,001, but 100,001.

A quick search through current members with their car details on record shows your Montego to easily be the oldest the Club knows about. As for your Maestro, it is the third oldest on record. The second oldest has a chassis number 7,184 lower, and the oldest a whopping 12,851 lower than yours! Obviously there may be other examples out there - these are just the ones the Club holds on record.

So, welcome along. I'm sure you'll spend plenty of time on here - there's plenty to read up on!

Comment

Hi Johnboi and welcome from another reasonably new member who lives not 30 miles away. I've also just strayed into the world of Maestro's, but mine will be off the road for quite a while for major engine and body renovation. Having said that, SWMBO and I get to the Hove area quite often, so there is always a chance of a meet-up. There is also at least one other member in our locale so it won't be too long before we can start organising gatherings for the SE region members!
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Welcome Johnboi. You'll find yourself in good company here. Be warned though, Maestro & Montego ownership is highly addictive as I'm sure others will back me up. I accidentally bought my first in 1996 and haven't been able to shake them off since!

Really looking forward to seeing your new Monty (and Maestro)!!
          1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Welcome to club again john Boi and well done again for your fantastic purchase of today and good on you for becoming a member of the club.
            Interesting story aswell mate! My Birthday is also in August and I will be celebrating my 40th this year. Or maybe not celebrating as getting too old too soon!

You now have two lovely cars and hope you keep them long term, there is not many good ones left out there now and good Montego's are very hard to find as you know, most of what's left is no doubt owned by the likes of us!
            I look forward to seeing you and the cars sometime throughout the year and hope to have my one back on the road soon aswell.

See you soon.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
              Be warned though, Maestro & Montego ownership is highly addictive as I'm sure others will back me up
              I'll certainly second that! I've been here 3 years now and have bought 6 Montego's in that short time because of being here! And it could easily have been a couple more aswell and may not be the last time either!!!

Comment

Hi and welcome!.

Congratulations on the purchases but be warned Maestro and Montego ownership is addictive, I only intended owning one Maestro!. Look forward to seeing one of your cars at POL.

Ray
                MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
                Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
                MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Excellent news, and welcome to the club! I'm really pleased these two important cars are in good hands, as they are easily two of the oldest examples of each model known to the club. I was really tempted by A122 TOO when it was for sale (I have an early beige Maestro as well) but had nowhere to keep it, so it's turned out well that you've bought it.

My Maestro lived in Brighton from 2011-13 as it happens.
                  1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

Welcome and well done for buying such a gem

Comment

Welcome on board! You certainly have landed with a bump. If you've ever in the St Albans area feel free to pop by, although no maestros on my drive at the moment (one on my Dads, one on my mums), I do drive a 1980 mini.

Ian
                      Ian Drew
                      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                      MG ZT V8
                      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Hi and welcome

I'm in Horsham so not far from you.

I've constantly had maestros or montegos since about 1992! The earliest I've owned was registered on 31st March 1983, can't get earlier than that!

James

Comment

Look forward to seeing you at POL, welcome in

Comment

Hello from Brighton too

Hi Jon

I am based in Brighton too! North Woodingdean to be exact. My MG Maestro 2.0i will be taxed from April and will be seen around Brighton on a regular basis.

Comment

Update

Hey everyone...

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply it's really nice to have such encouraging comments!

Thanks for the info with regard to where the cars fall in terms of oldest... It's pretty exciting having the third oldest maestro but having the oldest montego comes with range a responsibility but it has helped me decide what's next for it.

So fast forward to this weekend and yesterday I attended the mini day at Brooklands and caught up with Tanya. We had a chat about the montego and she mentioned that as well as POL on 12/4 there is the general classic drive it day on 27/4 (two days after the montegos launch on 25/4/84) and as such it has been suggested that (if I understood her correctly) longbridge have suggested that the drive it day culmination could have a theme celebrating the 30th birthday of the montego which I think is a jolly good idea. I will speak to Tanya properly in the week about this but I'm definitely up for supporting this and doing what I can - not least ensuring A122TOO (or Dennis as he is now known) is there! Some feedback or comments from you all on this would be great.

I went on from the mini show trailer in tow to Northampton to collect the Monty. The weather held and the chap selling was a delight. In addition to the car I got enough boxes of miscellaneous spares to fill the boot of my e class estate - half of which I would say are not relevant to my car (a previous owner obviously wanted to bling it and has been collecting loads of VP trim bits, electric door mirrors etc etc) so when I've had a sort out I'll put any surplus up on here as would rather someone had the benefit than collecting dust at this end.

The car was garaged but was taken off the road last October. The owner told me he suspected a carburettor fault as it would not fire up. The battery was flat and the brakes were binding. I could t get the trailer to the car so between us we managed to push it out of the garage. It was dusty and dirty and looking fairly sorry for itself. I immediately realised that the car has had the worlds most depressing partial respray to the front end roof and doors; an invoice from 2010 confirmed this. Possibly the worst £480 anyone has ever spent on well, anything. On the plus point I could see no rot and everything was rock solid. The engine bay was clean and under the hideous beige velour seat covers (on from new I think) could be a totally mint interior. We loaded him up and I set off back South arriving in the wee hours of this morning.

Today's first job was to de clutter and wash it. In the sunshine and without the top later of dirt the paint work horror story continues BUT there is no rot. Anywhere. Even underneath. You can eat your dinner off the boot floor and the seats. I found the correct wheel trims amongst the spares (anyone for 4 almost new chrome edged VP ones lol) and the original steering wheel was back on it when I collected it. Sadly the grill is wrong and the headlining may well be removed before POL as it is so saggy it's held on by the grab handles alone.

Perhaps the biggest thing which worries me on the whole car is that for a reason better known to themselves when the car was painted in 2010 they removed the dash and all of it's switchgear and sprayed it in the same colour as the car. Thankfully no other interior plastic met the same fate but it's hideous. They also fitted a different instrument cluster to include rev counter - I do have the original tho. So long term it needs a replacement brown dash panel (anyone? Lol)

I managed to get it running but the fuel pump is shot. The brakes are freed but it's yet to move under it's own power. All tyres are perished and splitting. So the plan is I have two weeks to polish the life out of it to detract from the bad masking on some rubbers, get it running properly and service it. Get 4 new tyres and tax it. This is probably all I can do before POL and drive it day but this should ensure it's attendance along with the maestro (which now looks like best in show when compared to the Monty)

It will irritate me that it looks a bit shabby but at least it's back in the fold and will get outings over the summer. My heart is telling me to take it off the road at the end of summer and strip it right back and refurb it properly back to totally stock so that it may be enjoyed for another 30 years. My head would prefer a new conservatory. I think it will boil down to the response it gets from the club and when it's out there again and the ability to source the parts I need so that it's bang on when done.

I will post a couple of pics but my garage could so be an AR service bay circa 1984 today!

Best

John

Comment

Working...
                              X