Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 MG Maestro

Hello All,
    I've recently bought an '85 MG Maestro, joined the club and joined the forum hoping to get the best out of the car and to meet fellow owners. I've come from owning a Landcrab where the camaraderie of the owners was as enjoyable as the car.

This isn't my first brush with Maestros and Montegos as I had the chance to drive many when I worked for Rover Cars in the early '90s, and then bought by own (a Montego) from the company.

I've only owned the Maestro for 10 days so still working out how good it is and what needs doing. There are a few rust bits here and there, and it idles fast before reducing speed so I am learning all about stepper motors and air bypass valves. There are a lot of threads on this forum which will be a great help over the coming months I'm sure.

I hope to get to a couple of shows before the season ends so look forward to seeing some of you there.

Nick

Welcome to the forum, look like a beauty
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Welcome to the mad house ! Nice early maestro you have there
      MG Maestro turbo 437
      367 Bhp

Comment

Welcome, Nick that looks a lovely example, great photo too.whereabouts in Leics are you, BTW?
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Nice looking car!

Comment

Very nice, looks pristine!

Comment

Thank you for the nice comments. The picture flatters it a bit but I a very pleased with it overall.

Simon, South of the county. LE17 postcode area.

Nick

Comment

A Silver MK1, just what I have always wanted. Where did you find that? Welcome along & great to have an EX Rover employee on board too.

There is a Classic Car show in Knebworth the last weekend in August (30th/31st). I plan to attend in my MG Montego. I will be on the Metro owners club stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick RS View Post
                  it idles fast before reducing speed so I am learning all about stepper motors and air bypass valves. There are a lot of threads on this forum which will be a great help over the coming months I'm sure.
                  Hi and welcome.

With reference to the above quote. When the idle control part of the EFI system is working properly, once up to normal running temperature when the vehicle comes to a stop for e.g. at a junction the idle speed should hover at around 1100rpm +/- 50rpm for a moment then gradually reduce to 750rpm +/-50rpm.

If when the vehicle comes to a stop at normal temp and the initial idle speed is either too fast i.e. above 1150rpm or hanging up for more than 2 or 3 seconds, or drops straight to 750rpm or below, the solution and set up procedure can be found in the following link.

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21427

Hope that you find it useful.

Regards, G Force

Comment

Welcome Nick. Thats a pretty tidy looking MG you have.

Why not put a marker for your Maestro on our map of the world? Please see the second link in my sig on how to add yourself.
                    Membership Secretary
                    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
                    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
                    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thanks, useful stuff, particularly the link to the tickover setting. It will be a week or so before I start fettling as a few family things are coming up. If I'm taking out the stepper motor I believe I should replace the O ring with a viton material version to withstand modern fuels.

The car was an eBay purchase. I could tell from the description that it wouldn't stay on there very long so I made sure I made contact straight away and was the first to view it. The fact it was only 30 miles away helped a great deal.

I may struggle to get to Knebworth at the end of August but I definitely plan to make the BL Autumn rally at Milton Keynes at the end of September. I've been the last two years with the Landcrab and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It seems to be growing as last year Crabs, Allegros and Maxis were joined by the Metro Owners Club as well as a selection of other vehicles.

Anyway, here's a picture of the interior. I think it might be quite rare to have the digital instruments?

Nick

Comment

Thought I had seen it before. That was the one I was going to bid on or buy it now can't remember which but I do know it vanished quickly.

Comment

re-mg

a very nice looking mg maestro

Comment

Originally posted by Nick RS View Post
                            If I'm taking out the stepper motor I believe I should replace the O ring with a viton material version to withstand modern fuels.
                            Hi Nick.

The Viton O ring replacement is only necessary on stepper motors and rotary choke assemblies for models with carburettors. The stepper motor on your mg will either have a paper gasket or no gasket at all. The paper gasket can be reused or discarded as it was removed in accordance with a technical bulletin on cars with idle issues. The stepper motor does not require any additional sealant because the micro encapsulated thread is sufficient.

Hope you find this of use.

Cheers, G force

Comment

Thanks G Force. I've been reading too many threads too quickly.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X