Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member with MG Montego

Hello,

I've just taken delivery of a 1989 Facelift MG Montego 2.0i in white. I've browsed these forums for years now, but have finally bought a Montego. We had a 1987 MG Montego in the family from almost new for many years and always pledged to get another one in future and finally it has arrived!

Mechanically it seems very sound, with a sweet engine. Bodily it's not too bad. Solid in the most important places, with some relatively superficial rust, Inside, underneath and engine bay are all good, so I'll just be going back to bare-metal on the exterior. I'll give it new rear arches and get on the phone to Rimmer Brothers to see what new panels they've got and swap everything for new where I can.

I've ordered four new quality tyres, so will get the alloys dipped and refinished whilst they're off. I've also arranged for the steering wheel to be re-trimmed, along with the headlining which is sagging. The carpet is in good shape really, but I'm sending it off to get a new one made from the pattern. The seats don't require any attention at all.

That will do for now as I only took delivery of the car about an hour and half ago and it's already partly stripped.

All the best

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to our little world. Getting parts is the hardest part for our cars. Rimmers is the best place for new stuff, along with X part (if you know the part number).

I am interested in any info on the new carpets. Have you found someone who can make moulded carpets? If so and it works well, they might be others that are interested. Hope to see some photos soon!

Comment

Hi and welcome, would your new car be either white from the hull area or white that used to be green?
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I've ordered everything that Rimmer Brothers have available. I can't get a driver's door or front wing though. Sills I'm going to make. As for the carpet, our trimmer has made moulded carpet sets for cars before, so I'm hoping he can match this one. The existing one would clean up fine though to be fair, so will see how it pans out.

And yes, this car came from Hull.

Comment

Here https://www.classiccarpartsandpanels...-montego-sill/ Bit of a wait to make it but they are getting very rare now.

Comment

Welcome, exact same car as me, is yours the H plate one from Ebay?

Comment

Hi, no it wasn't on eBay. It's an F-Reg.

Comment

Oh, mines an F too, get some pics up when you can.

Comment

Here's the car as it was when it was delivered

Still looks virtually the same now, other than a few holes where I've had a poke around, plus the front and rear screens have been cut out.

I had a large delivery from Rimmer Brothers yesterday of new panels. I'm really only looking for a new driver's door now in terms of major panels.

Comment

Off Facebook? Was a nice car when I last saw it afew years ago. Still looks OK there

Comment

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Aust...476?nav=SEARCH a cover sill that maybe of use to you

Comment

Don't know, never been on there!

I did spot that, but not much use to me as the front of the sills are pretty much perfect.

Comment

Welcome and good luck. I've been scavanging the internet for parts too, they are out there you need to get creative and be patient you will find stuff. Breakers yards are still a good source of parts, sometimes you find stuff of Ebay, Gumtree, etc. Good luck

Comment

Just stripping the car back to a bare shell at the moment to get it blast cleaned. There are a few nasty areas on the car. The only areas that are really bad are where bodged repairs have been done very badly before.

I managed to find a new O/S/F wing in stock in Holland. Have bought a complete N/S sill and am making a complete O/S sill to that pattern. They also had a complete new rear panel, tail lights and bootlid deflector.

Any other panels I need, I can make. The only part I've not been able to find is a new drivers door, so will get the old one blasted and hopefully it will just be a case of making a new skin.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X