Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello,
    I've just singed up for membership and wanted to introduce myself and why I've joined.

After 20 year since the last Maestro purchase in April 2001, I find myself giving a 1994 Rover Maestro Clubman a home.
    My first ownership of a maestro was at the age of 19. A student's best friend, cheap and reliable. In 2004 I handed over the keys to my final Maestro, a 1991 H reg 1.6 LX. Never thought after 17 years I'd own another. But here we are, another dear old Maestro finds it's self in my presence.

Back 20 years ago, these cars were almost everywhere. Spares were at an abundance. As a 19 year old, there was nothing like going through the scrap yard, looking for treasures for my dear 10 year old Maestro. No parts look in increasingly rare to come by, with limited resource online. A resource with other owners is a good way to resolve parts issues and find resources to add in the restoration. It's also lovely to chat to like minded people.

I look forward to reading, learning and contributing to the discussions with other owners.

VampireEchinda.

You will find it fairly quiet on here, but there are several very knowledgeable and experienced members in the background ready to offer help and advice if you need it

It would be great if you could share some photos of your Maestro with us!
    1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome digital efi. I'm very much looking forward to exchanging knowledge and experiences. Pictures would be a great idea. Here is a couple to start with. I've not had the car that long, so I'm sure more picture will be taken soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_133151.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	332714

Here is a picture taken on the day I collected her. Parked next to my much loved Nissan Leaf, which is my daily drive.
      She will also be placed along side my Project Rio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210223_142028.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	332715

Here she is placed at her new home. Note the plastic covering over the sunroof. Due to recent snow, I felt it wise to cover the sunroof while under the cover. A blanket of snow cannot be good for the seals. I'm Happy to post more picture once the weather improves, to remove the cover.

Comment

Welcome to the club. Wow that looks super clean! Where did you get it from? I cant remember seeing it for sale.
        MG Maestro Turbo #500
        BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
        Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Thank you Andy, this car was purchased from a trader in Derbyshire. It's a very clean example that's made its way from the Isle of White. It's full service history and almost every document issued during it's life.

Comment

Looks well tidy that, welcome to the board

Comment

Thank VWPowered. Do you own a Maestro or Montego and if so which spec?

Comment

Originally posted by VampireEchidna View Post
                Hello,
                I've just singed up for membership and wanted to introduce myself and why I've joined.

After 20 year since the last Maestro purchase in April 2001, I find myself giving a 1994 Rover Maestro Clubman a home.
                My first ownership of a maestro was at the age of 19. A student's best friend, cheap and reliable. In 2004 I handed over the keys to my final Maestro, a 1991 H reg 1.6 LX. Never thought after 17 years I'd own another. But here we are, another dear old Maestro finds it's self in my presence.

Back 20 years ago, these cars were almost everywhere. Spares were at an abundance. As a 19 year old, there was nothing like going through the scrap yard, looking for treasures for my dear 10 year old Maestro. No parts look in increasingly rare to come by, with limited resource online. A resource with other owners is a good way to resolve parts issues and find resources to add in the restoration. It's also lovely to chat to like minded people.

I look forward to reading, learning and contributing to the discussions with other owners.

VampireEchinda.
                Hi and welcome I had an L reg one of these in the same colour great cars and yours looks fantastic I still have a few parts locked away if you ever need anything in the future . A great buy well done .

Comment

I have a 1987 1.6 HL Montego and 2 Montego Estates

Comment

Originally posted by maestro dave View Post

Hi and welcome I had an L reg one of these in the same colour great cars and yours looks fantastic I still have a few parts locked away if you ever need anything in the future . A great buy well done .
                    A similar age to mine, that's wonderful. Would be greater to see picture of your L reg Clubman. I was never a great fan of the metal bumper versions, but this has change my opinion. There are a number of broken bits I'd like to replace. Most I've manage to source New Old Stock, but some parts I cannot find. The hardest thing I'm struggling to find at the moment is a replacement driver inner door seal. The only one I can fine that would work is a black replacement from a seal outlet online. While it would fit fine, it doesn't have the flint grey colour on the inside. To me this would look a bit odd and I'd have to look to replace them all.

Comment

Originally posted by VWPowered View Post
                      I have a 1987 1.6 HL Montego and 2 Montego Estates
                      Oh wow, three Montego's
                      No doubt that 1.6 Montego is going to be rare now. What kind of condition is it in? Does you estates have the 7 seats?

Comment

A similar age to mine, that's wonderful. Would be greater to see picture of your L reg Clubman. I was never a great fan of the metal bumper versions, but this has change my opinion. There are a number of broken bits I'd like to replace. Most I've manage to source New Old Stock, but some parts I cannot find. The hardest thing I'm struggling to find at the moment is a replacement driver inner door seal. The only one I can fine that would work is a black replacement from a seal outlet online. While it would fit fine, it doesn't have the flint grey colour on the inside. To me this would look a bit odd and I'd have to look to replace them all.
                        My first maestro in about 1998 was a B reg with plastic full bumpers , but looking back I think the metal ones look less bulky and a lot better . You may find a picture of my car in one of my post`s a few years back , I did a have a N O S door seal in flint grey but sold it to member 2 years back sorry .

Comment

Originally posted by maestro dave View Post

My first maestro in about 1998 was a B reg with plastic full bumpers , but looking back I think the metal ones look less bulky and a lot better . You may find a picture of my car in one of my post`s a few years back , I did a have a N O S door seal in flint grey but sold it to member 2 years back sorry .
                          Oh dear, not to worry too much, I'm sure one will come up for sale in the future. You don't happen to have a drivers sunvisor?. That's something I'm really struggling to find. Mine is looking out of shape. Despite fitting new clips and fixing the bracket, it no longer sits flush. I managed to free up the stiff mechanism inside, so it folds down correctly. I'm hope to find a replacement.

I've searched some of your older post, but couldn't see any images

Comment

Oh dear, not to worry too much, I'm sure one will come up for sale in the future. You don't happen to have a drivers sunvisor?. That's something I'm really struggling to find. Mine is looking out of shape. Despite fitting new clips and fixing the bracket, it no longer sits flush. I managed to free up the stiff mechanism inside, so it folds down correctly. I'm hope to find a replacement.

Are your sunvisors the full plastic or with fabric inserts?
                            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Sorry no visor .

Comment

Working...
                              X