Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo in the oil filler...

So I went to top up the oil to find the oil filler chocka with mayo

My immediate reaction was HGF but the car doesn't get hot, even the heater and it runs cool. A very knowledgeable mate of mie says its condensation doing it and suggested a dodgy 'stat, because its not getting up to temp. The coolant is clean and green and it doesn't smoke at all.

Suggestions welcome, folks...

Has it still got the insulation wrapped round the filler neck? This was always a problem so Rover insulated it. If your temp gauge gets up to half way during normal driving the stat should be ok. David

Comment

They all do that Sir, especially now it's getting cold and damp. Doing short journeys doesn't help either, because it doesn't evaporate the moisture.
      Even so, your mate may be right about the dodgy stat if it's not getting up to temp.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by davidh1041 View Post
        Has it still got the insulation wrapped round the filler neck? This was always a problem so Rover insulated it. If your temp gauge gets up to half way during normal driving the stat should be ok. David
        No, no wrap. The temp gauge never gets anywhere above two bars on digi display.

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
        They all do that Sir, especially now it's getting cold and damp. Doing short journeys doesn't help either, because it doesn't evaporate the moisture.
        Even so, your mate may be right about the dodgy stat if it's not getting up to temp.
        They all do that Sir - one of my favourite phrases!

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm still learning with the Maestro and with a ZS in the lock-up mayo is something I'm terrified of! I have been using it for short journeys, too.

Comment

Rest easy. Normally-aspirated O-series petrol engines don't eat head gaskets. Never had to change one in my life. Even when turbo'd they don't blow a HG every time the wind changes direction, well unless you whack-up the boost.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by skyblueads View Post
            So I went to top up the oil to find the oil filler chocka with mayo

My immediate reaction was HGF but the car doesn't get hot, even the heater and it runs cool. A very knowledgeable mate of mie says its condensation doing it and suggested a dodgy 'stat, because its not getting up to temp. The coolant is clean and green and it doesn't smoke at all.

Suggestions welcome, folks...
            Common problem, just clean as much as you can off then drive it hardish for a long journey as that normally clears it out
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

i use gtx oil and have no ploblems.i did suffer with it when i used the cheaper oil.i put it down to the addatives the gtx oil has.ie detergents ?.
              but mite be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by skyblueads View Post
                No, no wrap. The temp gauge never gets anywhere above two bars on digi display.
                Unless you are doing VERY short journeys, the gauge should go up to 4 or 5 bars. I would suspect a lazy thermostat preventing the engine from warming up fully.

In all the years I ran my Maestro EFi, no mayonnaise ever developed in the oil filler tube and it was never fitted with the insulation kit. In my experience, it was more of a problem on the S-series engines rather than the O-series.

I always used Castrol GTX Magnatec, changed every 6,000 miles and never needed topping up in between.
                1983 (Y) MG 1600
                1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                1990 Clubman D
                1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Wrap the oil filler pipe up with some good quality central heating pipe insulation, held on with a few cable ties. This will help to minimise the problem and was basically Rover's answer to the problem. Early S Series engines suffer the same problem as they use the same oil filler arrangement. I would also change the stat as it does seem to be running a bit cool.

Comment

Our O-series often did that in winter when used for short journeys only. We never really cared about this, as we knew this phenomen from older cars. It goes away after a proper drive or when the summer comes again

Alexander
                    http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X