Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Keys Cut?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have had a key cut at Timpson where I provided the blank and because there was no sale, they did it for just a charity donation.

    Comment


    • #17
      i had a spare key cut yesterday for my ledbury maestro not a genuin rover key
      but got a plastic top £5.95 down on slade road erdington in brum

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by GSDGuy View Post
        Hi,
        I have sent away for two blank genuine Rover keys and can't seem to find anyone willing to cut them for me. I only have the one key currently hence buying these as spares, therefore I am desparate to find out where I can get them cut - any ideas guys?????
        Cheers,
        Stevie
        I had another thought. Do you have the tag which has the code of the key stamped on it?

        If so I know an ex-Rover dealer in Bristol that will cut a key using the proper equipment (rather than the copying/tracing method used at Timpson). This creates a sharper key than copying an old one.

        If not, they can calculate the code based on the old key and then create your new one. Let me know if this of interest and I can take your keys to them if you send them to me.

        Comment


        • #19
          I got a key for my Maestro cut in the local cobblers shop today, but it will only operate the the tailgate, doors and petrol flap locks. it stubbornly refuses to turn in the ignition switch. Any ideas what is wrong with it?
          Last edited by Lostinthepast; 3rd May 2014, 15:38.

          Comment


          • #20
            Yeah, it's not a close enough match. Most Maestro exterior locks can be opened with anything remotely key-shaped, which is why the cars got nicked so often. The steering lock is more fussy.
            Regards
            John Orrell

            MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

            Comment


            • #21
              I too have had good experiences with 2 branches of Timpsons in Bristol, both using their blanks and my own genuine MG/Rover blanks.

              You've got a job to find a traditional cobblers shop around here these days

              Comment


              • #22
                Is there any way I can get an original key for my car, one that WILL operate the ignition switch?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Lostinthepast View Post
                  Is there any way I can get an original key for my car, one that WILL operate the ignition switch?
                  If oiling the lock and wearing down the key doesn't work, you'll have try the method I posted before. Obtain the code for the key and get a new ne cut to that rather than using the tracing method.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Mathew, how/where do I get the key code?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Lostinthepast View Post
                      Mathew, how/where do I get the key code?
                      The easiest way is to get it off the tag that was attached to the keys when the car was new. If you do not have that it can be calculated from your old key.

                      PM me if you'd like me to sort this for you and I'll contact the garage to check they still have the equipment.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Mathew, I sent you a PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Matt - if the garage do have the kit to determine keycodes from the keys, I'd be very interested to learn CMV's... it's all I don't have!
                          Sam Skelton

                          RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                          E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                          H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                          J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                          L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                          OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                          PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                            Matt - if the garage do have the kit to determine keycodes from the keys, I'd be very interested ...
                            So would I for NGN.
                            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Mathew, I sent you two PMs regarding this matter, but am not sure if they got to you. Did you receive them?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                CPL593H - i come from Portsmouth and will most likely be visiting my sister in the summer (I live in Merseyside) how would I contact your relative please and how much would he charge to cut 2x blanks which I have?
                                cheers,
                                Stevie

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X