Water Leaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Leaks!

Having now had it a few days and been unable to put the cover over it as it's never been dry enough I've found the water leak!

It seems to be coming from the ariel housing as only that corner of the headlining is wet, the rest is bone dry. According to the Haynes manual it's a simple matter of "prising off the cover" to locate the screws holding it on and then i should be able to loosen it and apply some mastic underneath to stop any more water ingress... Is it really that easy?!

re water leak

i hope you have found your water leak.but sometimes it could be the window screen leaking

Comment

Well I tried it and after that downpour we had yesterday I can safely say that wasn't the cause. After prising part of the headlining down it does lok like the windscreen is at fault, so some questions for anyone who has done it before:

Windscreen refitting. It seems like the leak is on the top right corner of the screen so it would seem the best bet is to have it professionally removed and refitted. Am I right? Will they clean up the screen and the metal before refitting? Also I note it has some sort of rubber strip around it, can I get some of that or will I have to reuse the old one, do I need to refit it or is it ok without?. Also how easy is the rubber to fit (i.e. can i do it!)? Sorry for the questions!!

Comment

Ive used a product called "Seek & Seal" before now, it does what it says. Pull back the finisher and squirt some in.
        If you have the screen removed, thats all fitter will do. Mine offered to remove cracked screen and return another day to fit new.
        If you get it removed, use the BX finisher when replaced, its a better finish.

Comment

Thanks. Couldn't find it in the UK but the Volvo forum on a Google search recons this stuff is the same so have ordered some: Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby View Post
            Well I tried it and after that downpour we had yesterday I can safely say that wasn't the cause. After prising part of the headlining down it does lok like the windscreen is at fault, so some questions for anyone who has done it before:

Windscreen refitting. It seems like the leak is on the top right corner of the screen so it would seem the best bet is to have it professionally removed and refitted. Am I right? Will they clean up the screen and the metal before refitting? Also I note it has some sort of rubber strip around it, can I get some of that or will I have to reuse the old one, do I need to refit it or is it ok without?. Also how easy is the rubber to fit (i.e. can i do it!)? Sorry for the questions!!
            You'll be lucky if the screen doesn't crack trying to remove it
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I have to agree with Jeff here. The screen mounting flange on these cars can be a known rot spot, so any corrosion on the flange will have to be dealt with first (by a body shop or by you if you can do that sort of thing) before screen refitment if Capt. Tolley's doesn't work, although there is plenty of evidence to suggest it does.
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I'll let you all know if it does... It'll certainly work out cheaper! For now the car's under it's cover as it dried out today at last!!

Comment

re screen leak

yes i leave the screen alone and only remove if the screen does need replacement in the futere ie cracked or broken.

Comment

Working...
                  X