Identifying engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying engine

I have bought a Maestro for my son's first car and my brother is going to to do a service, but I'm having trouble identifying the engine.
    The thing is the vehicle was registered in '95, apparently the car is a 'make up' of left over parts at Rover. Cars were to be built and shipped to India, but some were sold in the UK.
    For instance it has a diesel chassis, 1.6 petrol engine, alloy wheels (the type fitted to MG's) diesel dash. A real spare part car, but it drives well.
    I have attached a picture of the engine for help. I think, having had a look round that it is an S series.

Geoff
    Attached Files

Engine Size

Originally posted by geaves
    I have bought a Maestro for my son's first car and my brother is going to to do a service, but I'm having trouble identifying the engine.
    The thing is the vehicle was registered in '95, apparently the car is a 'make up' of left over parts at Rover. Cars were to be built and shipped to India, but some were sold in the UK.
    For instance it has a diesel chassis, 1.6 petrol engine, alloy wheels (the type fitted to MG's) diesel dash. A real spare part car, but it drives well.
    I have attached a picture of the engine for help. I think, having had a look round that it is an S series.

Geoff
    Hi,

Its a 1300 (1275cc) A Series. (not 1600cc)

Comment

The pic is a 'A' series 1.3 as Biglad says. they never developed a different chassis dependant on engine, all shells are the same. Someone has probably fitted the alloy wheels at later point and all late Maestros came with the Mk 3 dash. Hope that information helps.

They still made Maestros up to 95 (M reg) but they were diesel, I don't know when they stopped making the 1.3.

Have you got any more pictures of the car?
      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Maestro

Originally posted by Skatiechik
        The pic is a 'A' series 1.3 as Biglad says. they never developed a different chassis dependant on engine, all shells are the same. Someone has probably fitted the alloy wheels at later point and all late Maestros came with the Mk 3 dash. Hope that information helps.

They still made Maestros up to 95 (M reg) but they were diesel, I don't know when they stopped making the 1.3.

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you have a very late Maestro 1.3 Clubperson there. These usualy come with 13" steel wheels, as for the very last year of Rover production I am unsure whether it should have 14" steelie's, but I doubt it.

I bet the steering is a little heavy...

PS: Looks like Midnight Blue to me.
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Yes. Have texted wife as where to reg documents are, but I think this is registered as a 1.6.

If this is an A series, what plugs, points, air/oil filter (fuel filter?) will be looking for if I purchase from Halfords. i.e. cars are listed by year of manufacture and engine size.
          Attached Files

Comment

I would avoid Halfrauds much cheaper to go to your local motorfactors cheaper, more helpful and normally know what you are talking about when you ask for something. There isn't a fuel filter for the 1.3.

I forgot to say Welcome earlier. my apologies.

Could this be an apple 2000 model as its an N reg, however the windscreen wipers aren't LHD which is common on the apple 2000's.
            Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial
              I bet the steering is a little heavy...
              That is a under statement I had forgot what it was like to drive a car like this, choke, no power steering, windy up windows, no central locking!! takes me back to when I was 17, and my Triumph Herald.

Yes, I think it is midnight blue. Oh! the heater blower doesn't work

Geoff

Comment

Oh! the heater blower doesn't work
                At all or just on certain speeds?

Comment

Could this be an apple 2000 model as its an N reg

Comment

At all or just on certain speeds?
                    Blower doesn't work period, although power is getting to the switch, going to get bruv to have a look, better mechanic than me.

Geoff

Comment

If this is an A series, what plugs, points, air/oil filter (fuel filter?) will be looking for if I purchase from Halfords. i.e. cars are listed by year of manufacture and engine size.
                      Welcome!

All the engines used in the 1.3 Maestros use the same service items so it is simply a case of saying 'Maestro 1.3'. The only exception that I know of is Windscreen Wipers - very early cars had different fittings so if any questions are asked go for the later spec.
                      You can contact me by clicking here.
                      Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Hope this explains it a little http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...ght=apple+2000

Comment

Maestro Oddities

Could this be an apple 2000 model as its an N reg, however the windscreen wipers aren't LHD which is common on the apple 2000's.

I did have to look twice then... You would think it was an Apple2000 car with being an N reg. Perhaps it is, but the wipers on this particular car have been converted at some point?

I did have a look at the Monstro archive CD, and there was an article in October 2000 issue about these Apple2000 cars - to quote:

Originally posted by Monstro
                          Some time ago we came across a company called 'Felgate Enterprises' who could sell LHD and RHD versions registered on 'N' plates...

...The latest information from them was that stocks of the Maestro 1.3 were very limited, with RHD versions selling at £4,750 and LHD at £3,995...

... For more information, contact Parkway Service Station, Ledbury.
                          The mind boggles.
                          Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                          VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                          J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

I hope some of this helps with your heater problems

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2074
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I've got some more info on the car:

Date of first reg 01/06/99 (Decl/d manuf 1996)

VIN/Chassis No SAXXCHWD8**80179

(Ok the 2 asterisks should be A V)

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X