Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheapest 82 degree thermostat for perkins TD Prima?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapest 82 degree thermostat for perkins TD Prima?

Anyone know where i can source the correct thermostat for the above. The engine place took out the thermostat a number of years ago.
    Its time i had faster heating in the cold months :|
    0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Hi according to haynes manual the thermostat should be 88 degrees for the prima diesel. rimmers used to stock them and they often appear on ebay I think the hotter the better to try and coax some heat from the heater unit. cheers d cooper

Comment

As above and I think that you've been lucky running with no thermostat, or have never given it a thrashing on a hot day, when it gets to correct temp it opens valve to connect to radiator, but at the same time closes the bypass from water pump.... No thermostat = reduced flow to radiator when hot....Land Rover TDi engines use same type of thermostat, miss it out on one of them before an off road jaunt & you'll need a new head by the time you get back! Unless engine place blanked bypass, in which case you'll need to unblank it before fitting thermostat. Only diesel engine that I'd be keen on missing the thermostat out on would be a generator doing 12 hours a day & I'd need a very good reason to do it even then....
      Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 8th December 2016, 17:24.

Comment

cheers guys i dont know where to look for the blanked bypass zone? i presumably thought the guy forgot about the thermostat or it never had one in to begin with since i purchased the car
        The HG has been done twice funny enough the first was due to a 4th piston blocking due to veg oil 50/50 derv....taking it home the engine still smoked they thought the piston walls were glazed but it was the recon turbo [i paid for] that its heat shield stuck onto the turbo housing preventing it going round until it heated up....the engine was honed, new over sized piston rings and new HG another £500....but it was still running in so i disputed payment...on hindsight my fault the residual sodding veg oil must have stuck to the heat shield on to the turbo with crud making it smoke like a wood burner as the turbo wasnt spinning with no power....but still strange
        Last edited by guussi; 17th January 2017, 01:22.

Comment

they don't sound like the kind of place that would bother blanking the bypass, if you look into the thermostat housing you'll see the bypass hole in the bottom, it is fairly obvious when you look at the thermostat, the bottom bit blocks the bypass when the top bit opens to let water through radiator, the bypass lets water flow bypass the radiator & flow around the head and heater when thermostat is shut

Comment

ive always thought the thermostat cuts off the radiator so the coolant gets hot quicker for instant heat from the heater? in my case the thermostat was taken out and the heater hardly worked! forget it on a freezing day! i need to get one do i need a special one for my car or any will fit? I think £15 for one is a rip off!

Comment

Genuine ones are less than six quid at Rimmers http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PEL10002EVA they are probably the same as a Land Rover one, but I've never checked. The difference between these and old mini (and a lot of other old cars), is the mushroom bit, to the right on Rimmers picture, the left hand bit opens as temp rises, and lets water go into radiator (same as mini etc..), at the same time the right hand bit moves to block the bypass hole in the head, which is where the water goes when thermostat is shut, an ordinary one would not work very efficiently as water could take a shortcut round the bypass. When it is fitted the mushroom is at the bottom..

Comment

Working...
              X