Battery choice - which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery choice - which one?

I am about to buy a battery for my MG Maestro 1600. Originally they had an 063 size (as did all 1.3 and 1.6 petrols) but there is a bewildering choice:

I read that Unipart went out of business but there are plenty of Unipart Samson batteries.
    Lucas offer a Classic battery with higher output
    Then there is Varta, Bosch, etc. for those not bothered with OE look.
    (Presumably Halfords don't offer anything that is worth paying twice as much for!)

What have people gone for?

Also do people stick with 063 or upgrade to 065 or 075 which offer even more power?

I always had a unipart Samson with a lifetime warrenty from unipart after the origanal Rover one packed up in 91/92 .However since there demise the warrenty is no longer vailid so i will have a Exide when i need to buy one.
    Last edited by TLC; 14th March 2017, 01:21.
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
      I always had a unipart Samson with a lifetime warrenty from unipart after the origanal Rover one packed up in 91/92 .However since there demise the warrenty is no longer vailid so i will have a Exide when i need to buy one.
      Who is selling these now then? Are they New Old Stock or something?

https://unipartautostore.com/unipart...r-battery.html

Comment

I think you do it online as when i enquired about parts for the Montego they said they dont do them and they dont have branches .I wounder if they would honor the past warrenties on there Samson battarys ? I ll ask them
        Last edited by TLC; 14th March 2017, 11:55.
        Sure & steadfast.
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
          I think you do it online as when i enquired about parts for the Montego they said they dont do them and they dont have branches .I wounder if they would honor the past warrenties on there Samson battarys ? I ll ask them
          These Unipart Samson batteries are readily available on eBay. The 063 is out of stock but the 065 is the one I'd imagine most Montegos would have, especially the 2.0 litre cars.

Comment

Ive not looked on ebay as i dont need one atm .I found that the Samson lasted under warrenty about 4/5y on average .If unipart dont honor the lifetime warrentry i will go back to Exide but weather you need to up the spec ? I found the size supplied with the car was ok .
            Sure & steadfast.

Comment

I need to buy another soon for Lindzs car but have a look at the options here: https://www.tayna.co.uk/063-Car-Batteries-G4.html
              I got my last one from here and will use them again for my 600 diesel (a big battery!). I think it was a Varta one. Lots of choice. Ignore the recommended best buys and look at the specs instead. Higher CCA (cold cranking amps) is what you are after usually and warranty of course.
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I decided to get the Unipart Samson in the end - for the OE look. I also got the 065 because they fit the tray better and the output is much higher.

This is 500 Cranky Amps.

Comment

This is the current one on the estate .I carnt remember when unipart exchanged it under warrenty poss 6y ago
                  Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Mine is a Unipart Samson as directly above on the same lifetime deal and is from 2011, but it had been transferred to another car so warranty now void. It's been an excellent battery.

I can vouch for the quality of Unipart's online service. I wanted a Unipart Oil filter for my Maestro which was under £3, but their postage was £3.50. So I bought 5 oil filters off them instead, same postage charge making it more of a bargain.

I was thinking of going the Lucas 063 route with my next battery (still sort of keeping it in the family) from Tayna batteries, who's prices are very reasonable.
                    Last edited by Simon; 15th March 2017, 19:10.
                    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Lucas was my second choice - but the Lucas 063 Classic only puts out 35AH and 335CCA - much less than the 56AH and 500CCA of the Sampson 065.

I have used Tayna before to buy motorbike batteries but this time I bought from Unipart themselves via eBay. I will let you all know when it arrives.

Comment

Before Lucas went bust and took energy batteries with them, I used to sell Lucas batteries, according to the salesman (who moved to Moura, my current suppliers) the resurrected Lucas brand is just a label, he did not think much of them, he also said that Exide had made an "economy" battery line which were made down to a price for a Europarts contract and were to be avoided. He also warned against some of the batteries that he was selling (the Red Power brand, which were very cheap) and said that I'd be best only supplying them to people that needed them for a car they were about to sell, as they would last the warranty out, but no more. The higher quality line included a battery for the newer Ford Transits, Moura MiB 100 i, this is a high performance version of an 075, none of these have ever come back under warranty & having done a few sums they have been fitted to an MAN 32 Tonner used as a shunter (saving 300 quid on the giant oem battery)...and on various telehandlers and generators where the owners wanted the cheapest battery that would do the job, due to a high incidence of battery theft...I use these batteries on everything I own and they seem to last very well...this backs up Dans advice to go for higher cca if you want the battery to have a long and happy life...a battery maintainer or 20 watt (not the worthless toys that halfords etc sell) solar panel and controller left on the battery seem to work very well for me..

Comment

Not surprised the Lucas ones are stickered-up cheapies. These probably appeal to people looking for a concours engine bay - but the specification for the 'Classic' 063 battery makes it quite poor value.
                          Last edited by matthewsemple; 16th March 2017, 20:55.

Comment

^ That's good to know - Steering clear of Lucas then! I suppose they still live up to their name though: Lucas - The Prince of Darkness...

Q: Why do British men like warm beer?
                            A: Because Lucas made the fridges...
                            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I got a Honda one 3 years warranty and 780cca £45 trade price £85 retail

Comment

Working...
                              X