The New MG 2.0 wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neallew View Post
    Thanks very much - I cant even find that page via their website - went to a dealer today (xpart supplier) he was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Glad to say this is one of the very few useful car forums i have come across and so far Metro Maestro and MGb guys are all great and very helpful...
    Click on the link, goes straight to it. Put part number in without any spaces, don't understand why it's not working for you as the link goes straight to the search engine
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

the link you gave does sorry i didnt make that clear - id already been to dealer before i saw the link.
      Silver MG Maestro - C555, needs some anti rust love

Comment

Ouch a little too expensive - going the repaired route is more cost effective - see below

We have part number CRC9291 in stock. Price including shipment is € 629,91. Enclosed you will find 2 pictures.
        Payment in advance by bank transfer or by PayPal via this e-mail address: info@damenenkroes.nl. We do not accept credit cards or cheques.

Comment

Tank now cut open by firm and I collected, as i might as well do donkey work to remove the sealer in the tank as pay them to do it. I took a couple of phots of the inside if anyone wants to see them - post here or in a new thread? so it can go in the technical section? shows all the positions of the pipes and the layout of the swirl chamber etc.
          Second question do i leave inside as bare wire brushed steel or do i apply rust converter? will this interfere with the reweld process? or be even be stable once covered in fuel?

Comment

Tank now cut open by firm and I collected, as i might as well do donkey work to remove the sealer in the tank as pay them to do it. I took a couple of phots of the inside if anyone wants to see them - post here or in a new thread? so it can go in the technical section? shows all the positions of the pipes and the layout of the swirl chamber etc.
            Second question do i leave inside as bare wire brushed steel or do i apply rust converter? will this interfere with the reweld process? or be even be stable once covered in fuel?
            Post on this tread will be ok Neal. I would leave the rust proofing to the company who's doing the job, as long as it doesn't interfere with all pipes in and out it should be ok. I wouldn't leave bare metal as the original tanks were painted

Comment

I was referring to the inside of the tank ( not very clear on that I know)- once welded ill be priming and painting outside and possibly underseal the bottom once in place too..

Comment

Well got the tank back from the company. they had changed the blocked return pipe with a nice new bit. moved the pickup down a bit as i thought it was sitting quite high. So sunday I refitted the tank, copper greased the holding bolts and reconnected the various pipes. Only issue didnt have the right pipe to repair the breather so put the shorter length into a container as a temp measure. added 9 litres of petrol and after a few prime cycles the engine fired up and ran well... give it a good few blips once oil had cycled and sounded great and ran smoothly.... thank fxxk for that. (will get the phots of the internal of the tank up this evening now i've put them on my home pc).
                So just got to get breather pipe sorted,
                Change the reverse sensor as reverse lights not working at the moment, Any tips on that? Its located on the front of the engine i believe?
                Then get it booked in for an MOT now... (then i can actually drive it again)
                then its get on with plenty of jobs including rustproofing, repainting the black on the door window surrounds, covering any rust as a temp measure while i assess the car, work thru basic maintenance jobs, change timing belt and water pump, adding a filter between fuel tank and pump to catch big lumps. Add rear seat belts (dont have any fitted at mo ). Get a set of spare keys.
                Should keep me busy - along with the 68 B and the MG Metro...

Comment

Well got the tank back from the company. they had changed the blocked return pipe with a nice new bit. moved the pickup down a bit as i thought it was sitting quite high. So sunday I refitted the tank, copper greased the holding bolts and reconnected the various pipes. Only issue didnt have the right pipe to repair the breather so put the shorter length into a container as a temp measure. added 9 litres of petrol and after a few prime cycles the engine fired up and ran well... give it a good few blips once oil had cycled and sounded great and ran smoothly.... thank fxxk for that. (will get the phots of the internal of the tank up this evening now i've put them on my home pc).
                  So just got to get breather pipe sorted,
                  Change the reverse sensor as reverse lights not working at the moment, Any tips on that? Its located on the front of the engine i believe?
                  Then get it booked in for an MOT now... (then i can actually drive it again)
                  then its get on with plenty of jobs including rustproofing, repainting the black on the door window surrounds, covering any rust as a temp measure while i assess the car, work thru basic maintenance jobs, change timing belt and water pump, adding a filter between fuel tank and pump to catch big lumps. Add rear seat belts (dont have any fitted at mo ). Get a set of spare keys.
                  Should keep me busy - along with the 68 B and the MG Metro...
                  Nicely done, how much was it to fix the tank and what company did the job? BTW don't forget to put a new fuel filter on it. I had the same issue in that the return was blocked on 2 of my cars but the symptoms were different to your. Fuel just blasted out the carb on a turbo and into the engine on my sons efi causing a vapour lock. I changed the tank on the turbo and that fixed that, my sons efi I have yet to swop the tank over with my last spare that's not blocked. It maybe worth getting his existing cleared as you have when I've changed it
                  Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th October 2019, 12:43.

Comment

The tank was £250 to have cut opened - ( i cleaned my attempt at using por 15 to seal it out) - then returned to them. then they replaced part of the return pipe, lowered the pickup down a bit then welded it back up - most of top of tank had been cut open so sealer and rust could be scraped and dremel'ed out. rewelded and pressure tested plus painted outside. Not cheap but with limited options it was cost and time effective. It was a local radiator repair company that did the job and he also advertises that he does fuel tanks as well. Swansea Valley Radiators.
                    Does anyone know the part number for the gas struts for the hatch btw?

Comment

Here are the internal pictures of my efi tank...Swirl chamber - fuel pick up - minus filter - and return pipe in bottom - was blocked

Comment

Pretty common blockages are now, and soon to be the norm as the cars get older. That's not a bad price to have it fixed and all working properly again, must cheaper the Damens lol

Comment

Just the MOT to sort now and i can hopefully drive it until the new year in good weather when i'm not under it sorting the surface rust, and re-sealing. Also got to swap my relays back around for the pump and if they are good at least i have 2 known good spares.

Comment

Relays good, New fuel gauge is a little out something to worry about after i get tank breather pipe sorted - need to find a 12mm id less than 17mm od pipe... struggling - definitely cant find one in reinforced rubber OD's are too big. so may have to go PU ( air pipe - oil and fuel resistant...)
                            Oil and filter change - was needed
                            air filter change - seen worse but was also needed
                            coolant nice and fresh and green
                            Brake fluid - blacky brown - s flushed that thru with my gunson easi-bleed...a good buy by my late father in law for his mgb methinks...

So MOT passed with some advisories - so need to change 1 - but will do pair of front shocks and some welding to be arranged - as I've confirmed via facebook forum sills not available so it will be patched, someone is suggesting MK1 golf rear arches will fit which you can get repair panels for - dont know if 3 or 5 dr ones are same or which i would get? anyone confirm this? they definitely fit? or I'll have to track a mk1 down locally and make a copy of my arch in cardboard and check...

The MOT inspector was very impressed with the overall condition of the car, presented as I had bought it, with no attempt to cover surface rust (except under and around fuel tank while i had access) or bodge anything. It needs a good effort now to stop rust getting worse but basically a solid car with very little welding so far ( 1 rear arch- badly ) and now a welded fuel tank.

Comment

If you can't find a rear arch, the opposite front wing has the same profile round the arch part, so you could use one of those to cut up instead

Comment

The rear repair panels for a golf are cheaper than the front wings on ebay at mo and some of them are a little rusty..

Comment

Working...
                                X