Turbo Diesel tuning tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Diesel tuning tips

I need pictures of the adjustment wheels / screws for changing the fuelling and idle speed and the plate that needs removing. My TD is definitely not how it should be off boost from 1st to 2nd gear. I also need a pic of where to install a boost gauge to check boost. I won't be going over the top though seeing as it's an old engine with old gaskets. I know it has been requested a lot and I have followed ETV's post from ages back.

Engine is a 1993 build with reportedly 20,000 miles. Turbo seems very healthy at the turbine - there's hardly any lateral movement.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

has the exhaust recycling valve been removed or disabled? if not you might want to think about doing so.

Comment

I have blanked the egr and even tried a new one before that! Cheap on eBay.

I now know what it is boosting to ~11 psi. Is it worth upping it any more?

Thanks again.

Comment

You should gain a bit if you turn it up to 14, I wouldn't go much further, it will be running bit hotter anyway without the egr and a car with an intact head gasket is always faster than one with æ blown gasket ha ha ha

Comment

only one of our diesel montego's has a exhaust recycling valve, the other 2 never had them, removing it should not make the engine run hotter as it should be closed when the engine is under heavy load. volvo put these engines in boats, this manual tells you how to test the turbo but the values will be wrong. do not adjust to 105hp.
          http://www.ootnic.com/resources/Volv...p%20Manual.pdf

Comment

Excellent, I am aware of the multiple applications these engines have but haven't seen that manual before.

I have wound in the wastegate arm 3 times maximum as I recall but it's probably made the slightest of difference..might have been nudging 12.5 psi. I have now removed the boost gauge.

I think the only way to see any gain is to increase fuel. I will have to live with it until someone who really knows what they are doing can look at it. It is safe enough to drive just that there appears to be roughly a 15-20mph defecit in top speed. Cruises over 70 that's the main thing. I think the tune of the original engine that had Rover warranty work spoilt me somewhat!

Comment

What happened to the original engine?

Comment

check the full load screw on the injector pump, it may have been turned down for a mot. there should be a seal crimped on the screw that stops the fuelling being turned up but not down.
                check the diaphragm in the top of the pump, but it must be put back in the same way it came out or the rate of additional fuelling will change.i would not change the spring seat height as it is a coarse adjustment, the fine adjustment is on the top of the pump, some times under a plastic seal.
                also check the air filter, manifold gasket, manifold to turbo hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                  What happened to the original engine?
                  I overfilled it with oil when I was in rush to get somewhere one day. It had really clean oil and I misread where it was on the dipstick.

Originally posted by robert1
                  check the full load screw on the injector pump, it may have been turned down for a mot. there should be a seal crimped on the screw that stops the fuelling being turned up but not down.
                  check the diaphragm in the top of the pump, but it must be put back in the same way it came out or the rate of additional fuelling will change.i would not change the spring seat height as it is a coarse adjustment, the fine adjustment is on the top of the pump, some times under a plastic seal.
                  also check the air filter, manifold gasket, manifold to turbo hose.

I will report back soon. Yeah, I have seen a screw on the injection pump that has thin metal wire over it..

Comment

Just to confirm - 1.) moving the star screw on the top without removing the pump top cover will not serve any purpose?

2.) Is it the max load screw on the side of the pump that is limited in movement from factory, as I mentioned a wire over it?

https://www.tstproducts.com/vepumpadjustment.aspx I have found to be a good guide by the way..

Thanks again
                    Last edited by John S; 5th June 2019, 10:09.

Comment

If it ain't broke don't fix. I adjusted the smoke screw with the engine off and now it won't start. Should I have had the engine running ? Will tow start it soon..

Comment

ho dear, do you have someone how can turn the key well you make the adjustment? it is only a short screw but be quick so not to let the starter get hot.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
                          ho dear, do you have someone how can turn the key well you make the adjustment? it is only a short screw but be quick so not to let the starter get hot.
                          I got a tow start. I will have to patch up the diesel tank as there is a pinhole in it. May have to check if the stop solenoid was disturbed. Thanks for your help.

Comment

that's a real pain, has the solder cracked where the feed and return pipes fit? i have had a stop solenoid fail, i had to remove the plunger and spring from it to get home. if you do that the engine wont stop thought. the new solenoid had a plunger that was to long and the engine would not start.

Comment

Working...
                            X