No announcement yet.

.Front suspension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found something else out, not all struts have that drainage channel, the one that collapsed has no sign of one, the petrol one I was sold in error did, so I will just continue with the regular oil spray, making sure none gets near the brakes.
    An MOT man told me to always spray the rear spring mounts they are known to break through into the boot area he said. (Its a pity he never mentioned the front strut).
    Tom h

Comment

I apologise for the slow reply but I did do a quick note in the thread about fuel pumps, I ordered the new strut that Robert (City X) suggested on the 6th of Dec but it was very slow arriving due to the Christmas post (Hermes) it arrived on the 13th.
      I did another Google search (Monroe 11082 Rover) and my car came up straight away, using Rover instead of Austin did the trick.
      As John DR Diesel suggested, fitting springs is not to be taken on lightly, I took it slowly and carefully but got the spring compressed enough to fit the assembly together.
      Fitting it to the car was hard work work but it was pretty straightforward thank goodness.
      I hope to attach some pics if it goes to plan.
      I have to say thank you so much to Robert (City X) and John (Dr Diesel) for the huge assistance they gave me in doing this.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Collapsed Strut.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	329724 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-13.Car work (4).JPG
Views:	275
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	329725 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-23.Breakdown recovery (1).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	329726

Comment

Just on a general note. I was aware that there are two different strutt lenghs, but don't know why? Does one give a different ride height to the other, or is there another reason. Which modles had which?

Comment

Looks like you did a proper job, and the spring compressors look nice.
          Jez, I don't know about ride height but the springs come in different lengths to.

Comment

Working...
          X