Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.Front suspension question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • .Front suspension question

    When removing a front suspension strut is it really necessary to hold the spindle with an allen key, the spindle seems to be solid and wont turn, the allen key prevents using a socket.
    Last edited by Sussex Pete; 1st December 2019, 08:48.

  • #2
    probably not, you won't brake it by trying. you will need a spring compressor if you are going to change the shock absorber.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by thart View Post
      When removing a front suspension strut is it really necessary to hold the spindle with an allen key, the spindle seems to be solid and wont turn, the allen key prevents using a socket.
      I've always had to use one
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible, sorn for the winter
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Sorn for the winter
      1984 MG Montego EFi in black. Digital dash and bring worked on
      1984 MG Montego EFI in red. Digital dash. Work put back
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. What a car, sorn for the winter

      Comment


      • #4
        If you've got a decent impact wrench you might get away with holding the rod and gunning it off, but otherwise you will need the allen key, as Jeff says. It is a nyloc nut and as soon as you move it the rod will start to turn. A ring key (old type, rather than a straight one) or 'go through' socket set should do the job.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the replies, yes you are all right about that as I found out, I managed using a socket held in a strong Mole grip with the allen key in the square hole,
          My strut had collapsed due to rust in the bottom spring platform, I saw a Diesel strut on ebay and sent off for it, so fitted it on the car with some difficulty (I am 82) but found out that it must have been a petrol strut as the car now has a list to starboard, can I fit the old diesel spring to this petrol strut?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by thart View Post
            Thanks for the replies, yes you are all right about that as I found out, I managed using a socket held in a strong Mole grip with the allen key in the square hole,
            My strut had collapsed due to rust in the bottom spring platform, I saw a Diesel strut on ebay and sent off for it, so fitted it on the car with some difficulty (I am 82) but found out that it must have been a petrol strut as the car now has a list to starboard, can I fit the old diesel spring to this petrol strut?
            Yes, but you'll need some decent spring compressors, the damping is slightly different between petrol and diesel, but you probably won't notice that unless you take it racing! May be worth getting a garage to do the actual spring swapping, unless you are fairly confident, I worked in a garage for a while and have changed umpteen springs, but it is still a job I regard as dangerous and hate having to do.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you Dr D that is very helpful, it is just the information that I need, it won't be in any manual, only hard earnt experience can know things like that.
              I sent off for a pair of spring compressors on Sunday (Sealy AK3846), I do have some engineering experience, but will treat this with great respect and will report here when it is complete, with any luck.
              Cheers Tom H

              Comment


              • #8
                only other thing yo might need is some sort of tool for the nut that holds the top bearing on. They are usuall not too tight and circlip pliers work. I made a tool by grinding a deep socket down, but have since been told that this vw one is a good fit with a bit of minor fettling https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-VAG-AU...da97f227240736 the kits look like a better buy, but only if you can sell the bits you don't need I guess. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-SN005-S...da97f227240736. I guess the kit is bound to contain one that fits anyway...good luck...John

                Comment


                • #9
                  You need to make sure both shock absorbers have the same spring seat height.
                  the last time i change a pair I found the old ones were wrong, and the ebay seller had sold me one of each type. both sealed in the correct box so he was not to know.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Robert you are right, the bottom seating should be 264 mm from bottom bolt centre to the seating underside, the one that I bought is about 272, I am stumped now, I have removed the unit from
                    the car but don't know whether to fit the spring and take a chance or keep looking for a proper Diesel strut a real problem for me.
                    Thanks for all the help from you and John.
                    Cheers Tom H

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello again, I have to say that last post of mine is total rubbish, after a struggle I got to the undamaged nearside strut to measure its height bottom bolt centre to underside of lower spring seat,
                      it is 250 mm. The one that I bought is 264 that would mean compressing the spring 14 mm more, it will be hard enough at the standard compression I think.
                      Sorry about sending duff info, I am now on the hunt for a 250 mm strut.
                      Cheers Tom H

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think this might be the right one, but i can't guarantee it. Have a look at the yoyopart site and see what you think.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MONTEG...kAAOSwD0NdY8vt
                        https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/5006290...ml#application

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thank you so much Robert and John for the info on this job I am very grateful, it has been so helpful, it is not a situation that comes up every day thankfully, and your knowledge is so valuable.
                          My Wife and I never thought of adding Montego to the search for a new strut, although our TD was not in the list other Diesels were, so I am following it up and will let you know how I get on.
                          Cheers from Tom h

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thart View Post
                            Thank you so much Robert and John for the info on this job I am very grateful, it has been so helpful, it is not a situation that comes up every day thankfully, and your knowledge is so valuable.
                            My Wife and I never thought of adding Montego to the search for a new strut, although our TD was not in the list other Diesels were, so I am following it up and will let you know how I get on.
                            Cheers from Tom h
                            Strange that yours had the shorter strut, the parts list is a bit vague about them, but I always thought that all of the diesels had the longer one... I thought there was a list of every spring and strut and what it fitted on here , but can't find it anymore...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hello again John, I don't know very much about this subject as my TD clubman has been pretty trouble free till now, but I actually measured the seat to bottom bolt centre and 250 was the figure I got, maybe my car is an odd one, K264LLG it might be an early turbo I don't know.
                              What I did find was that the bottom seating has a drainage channel at the back that gets blocked, a long 4mm allen key and a light hammer can clear it and save a lot of trouble, plus a good spray of oil of course.
                              I have fingers crossed that the strut I ordered does the job, as you said I wont be taking it racing, except to TESCO perhaps.
                              Cheers Tom h

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X