Maestro turbo brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro turbo brakes

I have big 4 pots on the front and just converted rears to ZT disk brakes. Now I’ve got excessive brake pedal travel even after several very thorough power bleeds. I’m guessing the master cylinder is either knackered or too small. It was fine until the rear disk conversion.

Anyone one know where I can get a new master cylinder or which bigger bore ones might fit?
    I had always though that disk brakes needed less fluid not more?

There are new master cylinders on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334300538120 , but I'd guess that you might need a bigger one, pistons in disc brake caliper are lot bigger than drum brake ones, even with reduced trvel I'd say it'd use more fluid. This is a master cylinder that I've often wondered about https://www.paddockspares.com/nrc952...-ha701009.html it looks s though it should fit and is from a vehicle with discs all round, but I do not know the cylinder diameter & have never got around to trying one... I'm guessing that the zt master cylinder doesn't fit?

Comment

Cheers, I just ordered the paddock one. Worth a punt I think. I will let you know if it fits.

Comment

Originally posted by fatjon View Post
        Cheers, I just ordered the paddock one. Worth a punt I think. I will let you know if it fits.
        I always thought it'd be an interesting experiment, but never got around to putting my money where my mouth is ...

Comment

It arrived and not right as the flange is horizontal rather than 45 degrees but I also ordered the servo to go with it (£75) which solves that problem. Tomorrow we’re going to see if we can get the servo to fit. I will maybe need an adapter plate making but that’s not a big deal I hope. Recently made one to put a twin diaphragm Volvo servo in a TR6 which was only a half day of measuring and drilling to get to a perfect solution. Will update with some pictured as it progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by fatjon View Post
            It arrived and not right as the flange is horizontal rather than 45 degrees but I also ordered the servo to go with it (£75) which solves that problem. Tomorrow we’re going to see if we can get the servo to fit. I will maybe need an adapter plate making but that’s not a big deal I hope. Recently made one to put a twin diaphragm Volvo servo in a TR6 which was only a half day of measuring and drilling to get to a perfect solution. Will update with some pictured as it progresses.
            Be handy if the servo fits, Maestro/Montego servos are very hard to find these days...shame about the fixing holes though, if they'd been the same then both parts would have been useful on their own...

Comment

After a days cussing I can say that servo and master cylinder can be made to fit. Lump of 21mm ally plate drilled for 4x M8 servo studs and then drilled 13mm half thickness to take nut flush with surface and tapped M10 for 2x M10x1.5 x 25mm Allen bolts through bulkhead. 57mm holesaw for big hole in the middle.

Then need to extend servo shaft to make up for thickness of adapter plate (threaded joiner and a bit of M10 rod, dead easy.
              Almost finished but ready for Sunday joint now!

Comment

Sounds like busy day! If it does the job you'll not need to worry about spares availability anyway.....

Comment

Swapped the reservoirs over, the reservoir pipes line up, one of the roll pins does too which makes it pretty firm, used a strong cable tie in place of the other roll pin.
                  One of the outlets is m12x1 so ordered an adapter.

Comment

Working...
                  X