Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems fitting Gaz coilovers. Anyone else had this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems fitting Gaz coilovers. Anyone else had this?

Gaz coilovers arrived a few weeks ago. Garage is having a nightmare fitting them. I thought they were suppose to be plug and play! Had to remove all the front brakes to fit the fronts ones. Hope they ride ok as the threaded top of the shock shaft was initially an inch too short but they have got them on. The rears are about 6" to short! He has rang motobuild for advice and he has said new rear top mounts can be made from some other rovers engine mount been cut in half!! Never heard of this before. Anyone else that's fitted them had any problems. Or any problem's with fitting coilovers of any brand like this? Thanks Andrew
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

My fronts were OK Andy but my rears were shorter I posted I think on Facebook or here about them. Let me try and find it.

Short version I had the rubber rears remade smaller.

EDIT: Found it. Are you on FB Andy? The Maestro was one of the reasons I actually joined FB when I was rebuild8ng it.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/mandmo...5507907301744/
    Last edited by macca666; 1st September 2022, 04:38.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
    Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
    Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

No i have managed to avoid FB for the last 17 odd years but I keep getting told to join it. If you could copy and paste or screen shot it would be good thanks.
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

My gaz coilovers came a few months ago and fit my 90 MG Maestro perfectly at the top. Getting the bottoms to fit at the front needed a bit of brute force, they were about 1/4mm too narrow. Front top mounts are the mk3 golf hybrids described here.

https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...p-strut-mounts

Comment

Forgot to say, these came direct from Gaz not motobuild.

Comment

Originally posted by fatjon View Post
            My gaz coilovers came a few months ago and fit my 90 MG Maestro perfectly at the top. Getting the bottoms to fit at the front needed a bit of brute force, they were about 1/4mm too narrow. Front top mounts are the mk3 golf hybrids described here.

https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...p-strut-mounts
            Hi did your rears fit the standard top mounts?
            MG Maestro Turbo #500
            Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              No i have managed to avoid FB for the last 17 odd years but I keep getting told to join it. If you could copy and paste or screen shot it would be good thanks.
              Replied to your message I was on FB for years with no friends and nothing in my profile as I only joined for the maestro. I'd recommended it as even the mmoc page is a wealth of info.

Here's how short I was.....I just got a slimmer rubber to mount made and used it and all was good. Fronts were fine for me just re used the silver top mount from my old ones and or a new bearing in it.....

Attached Files

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
              Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
              Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Working...
              X