Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG R-series engine parts NEEDED.

Good evening all, happy new year!
    I'm after a piston ring set, both big and little bearings/shells and a full bottom end gasket set, all for my R series engine.
    the bearings all came out good, not one was worn, but like anything, if new are available il fit them.
    same applies to the piston ring set.
    Can any member advise me on the part numbers for the above and what other engines/cars they went into? again, subsequent/later part numbers would be fantastic if possible. A bit of a mine field for me this area is and any help would be greatly received.
    joe

You may already know that the R-series was essentially a reworked E-series engine from the Allegro and Maxi. All shared the same (3 inch?) bore and were stroked for the different capacities of 1500, 1600 and 1750.

From what I remember, the 1500 had more piston rings than the 1750 and I am not sure what arrangement the 1600 used. One thing was for sure: the E-series had quite a reputation for high oil consumption (especially in 1750 guise), but the R-series had no problem in that area. The S-series used in the Montego and later Maestros was developed from the R-series and had the same bore size.

If you can get hold of Nick Bonthrone at Austin Garages, he has extensive knowledge of these engines.
    1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

The part numbers you were looking for are:
      Piston Ring Set : BHM1479/147920 (for .020 o/s) (Allegro/Maxi parts are BHM1173/17320 for 1750 engines)
      Main Bearing Set: 8G2761 (no info on undersize part numbers)
      Little End Bearings: 8G2633 (No info on undersize part numbers)
      There is no gasket between sump and block. Use RTV. What other gaskets do you think you will need?
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thank you for the part number Pete, brilliant in fact.
        it's the bottom end gasket set, there's a unique gasket that sits in between the block and the gearbox adaptor plate, weirdly it looks like the letter R, and info on those would be realy helpful.

Comment

Did the R and S use the same pistons ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr bump View Post
            Thank you for the part number Pete, brilliant in fact.
            it's the bottom end gasket set, there's a unique gasket that sits in between the block and the gearbox adaptor plate, weirdly it looks like the letter R, and info on those would be realy helpful.
            Cant find any reference to the adapter plate for R series engines on the EPC. Working on the basis that the S series is a development of the R series and therefore engine blocks should be fairly similar, the S series adapter plate is CAM9710 and the gasket is UAM3748. The Supplementary Gasket set for the R series is BHM 1431 and includes the gearbox mounting plate gasket as well as a few O rings and washers. HTH

In answer to your other query, yes the S series pistons are the same.
            Membership Secretary
            Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
            2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
            1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post

Cant find any reference to the adapter plate for R series engines on the EPC. Working on the basis that the S series is a development of the R series and therefore engine blocks should be fairly similar, the S series adapter plate is CAM9710 and the gasket is UAM3748. The Supplementary Gasket set for the R series is BHM 1431 and includes the gearbox mounting plate gasket as well as a few O rings and washers. HTH

In answer to your other query, yes the S series pistons are the same.
              Thank you Pete, realy helpful mate.

Comment

Working...
              X