No announcement yet.

Crunching reverse gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could we have a photo of what it looks like now? Is it the original gearbox?

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
      Could we have a photo of what it looks like now? Is it the original gearbox?
      I'll see what I can do, car is in garage right now, yes it's the original 1986 gearbox.

Comment

ok, well it looks like the later type of lever. I think they changed in 1988. Dose the old photo with the red circle mean you had trouble making the cable fit?

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
          ok, well it looks like the later type of lever. I think they changed in 1988. Dose the old photo with the red circle mean you had trouble making the cable fit?
          No it fitted perfectly

Comment

Thanks for that explanation to set the auto-adjuster. Just so I know exactly what I'm doing ;-) where and what is the "outer cable" ?
            thanks Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

The inner is the wire rope and it runs through the outer, you are just helping the spring do its job so pull the outer cable just in front of the spring well pushing the adjuster to keep in place.
              Try and take a photo of the gearbox lever as I am a bit worried about how the cable fitting.

Comment

Well, we've changed the clutch plate (some oil seals to) and the gearchange is as smooth as silk, including reverse, no more crunching. Only question I have is this. This is the text for setting the self adjuster :
                • If the clutch cable is disturbed for any reason, the following adjustment check should be performed.
                • With moderate hand pressure, push the clutch lever on the housing down (in the opposite direction of normal movement) through its full stroke.
                • When released, the lever should return to its original position.
                With one hand, push the adjuster housing against the engine bulkhead to its stop and with the other hand, pull the outer casing away from the
                bulkhead until resistance is felt while holding the outer casing at a point just behind the spring.

• Release both parts of the cable.
                • This should ensure that the self-adjusting mechanism is set correctly.

Here's a photo of my clutch cable as now fitted (it's a LHD car) I have labelled the cable A, B & C. Can someone tell me what letter the adjuster housing and what letter the outer casing is. Sorry is this self-evident for most people on here but I want to be 100% sure.
                Thanks for all the help and assistance.
                Chris
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230429_134124717.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	337737

Comment

Working...
                X