Maestro 1990 1.6LX Auto to Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro 1990 1.6LX Auto to Manual

Hi. Nubie here. I have just bough a superb low mileage 1990 1.6LX automatic for touring and would ideally like to convert it to manual. My question is how straightforward is this to do and what parts do I need?

I'm aware that I would at the very least need a gearbox, adaptor plate, flywheel, clutch, gear linkage and gear stick and also a pedal box, but I'm not sure about what else I may need, such as drive shafts, bracketry and interior trim such as centre console.

Any help and any leads as to where to get the parts would be really very much appreciated.

Thank you advance :-)
    Last edited by MikeHod; 24th January 2024, 10:13.

The gearbox mounting on the passenger side is also different, if I had a manual car in the same condition as your auto I'd swap you Not many autos about..

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
      The gearbox mounting on the passenger side is also different, if I had a manual car in the same condition as your auto I'd swap you Not many autos about..
      Thanks for that. I'll add it to the list of parts I need. Really I guess I need someone who is breaking a manual. Do you have any idea as to whether the drive shafts are the same on both types?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHod View Post

Thanks for that. I'll add it to the list of parts I need. Really I guess I need someone who is breaking a manual. Do you have any idea as to whether the drive shafts are the same on both types?
        Driveshafts are the same if you are fitting the vw box from a Maestro 1300/ 1600, if you were lucky & found a pg1 from a late model 1600 Montego, you'd need the driveshafts as well, a complete car would probably be easiest, as you say.

Comment

Driveshafts are the same if you are fitting the vw box from a Maestro 1300/ 1600, if you were lucky & found a pg1 from a late model 1600 Montego, you'd need the driveshafts as well, a complete car would probably be easiest, as you say.
          Are the Maestro 1.3/1.6 manual boxes the same right the way through? Presumeably the 1.3 adaptor plate is different?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHod View Post

Are the Maestro 1.3/1.6 manual boxes the same right the way through? Presumeably the 1.3 adaptor plate is different?
            The adaptor plate is different, but gearbox is the same (apart from ratios and 4/5 speed option), they bought them in from vw, so presumably didn't want to complicate things. vw also made the linkage, if you do the swap I'd try to either use new links, or replace them with something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325289938062. The gear selector rod is supposed to be replaced whenever it is dismantled, but using adjustable length rods gets you out of this & increases your chances of getting a decent shift. The 5 speed has a few different part in the linkage/gearlever mechanism so best to get everything from the same donor, then just replace the links (I would say 'if they are worn', but they will be!). I think there is a thread on here somewhere with the various ratios listed, there weren't too many options, but getting a van one would make it a bit noisy on the motorway....

Comment

this pot https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...help/9360-help has some information & a link to a vw gearbox page with a handy rpm/speed calculator on it.

Comment

The adaptor plate is different, but gearbox is the same (apart from ratios and 4/5 speed option), they bought them in from vw, so presumably didn't want to complicate things. vw also made the linkage, if you do the swap I'd try to either use new links, or replace them with something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325289938062. The gear selector rod is supposed to be replaced whenever it is dismantled, but using adjustable length rods gets you out of this & increases your chances of getting a decent shift. The 5 speed has a few different part in the linkage/gearlever mechanism so best to get everything from the same donor, then just replace the links (I would say 'if they are worn', but they will be!). I think there is a thread on here somewhere with the various ratios listed, there weren't too many options, but getting a van one would make it a bit noisy on the motorway....
                Thank you. That is really helpful!

Comment

Working...
                X