MG1600 R series vacuum pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG1600 R series vacuum pulse

Evening all R series engine owners or tech minded wizards.
    so, I'm getting a bad vacuum pulse from my dizzy, quiet a noise to be frank.
    Now was an inline anti pulse valve ever fitted to the vacuum hose? Or is there a particular method I need on the set up?
    any help will be great.

I don't know a thing about a R series but if you have a vacuum gauge I would use it.
    https://www.onallcylinders.com/wp-co...1-752x1024.png

Comment

There isn't anything in the vacuum line apart from a variety of t pieces/multi connectors as far as I know. Has it just started doing this?

Comment

It's got slightly worse since first fire up after the rebuild. The
        school boy error I committed was throwing away the vac piping due to it being rotten, and I cannot remember what T pieces or branch off's were present. Do you have a diagram? I cant find anything in the books or factory manuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr bump View Post
          It's got slightly worse since first fire up after the rebuild. The
          school boy error I committed was throwing away the vac piping due to it being rotten, and I cannot remember what T pieces or branch off's were present. Do you have a diagram? I cant find anything in the books or factory manuals.
          The pipe routing seemed to be a well kept secret, even the parts list is very vague, from memory the vac connection on the manifold goes to a t piece, one leg is for the heater, the other goes to a 5 way connector with pipes off to temp valve for inlet air flap, distributor and the remaining two I don't remember, I'll have a look at mine tomorrow. The distributor is furthest away and has the smallest pipe, so should be fairly well damped.

Comment

My memory had scrambled that a bit..the multi way connector must have self destructed & I had replaced it with two t pieces, manifold vac in, distributor out, connection to second t piece on one, second one to heater and air cleaner temp valve, so, rightly or wrongly I've not put distributor at the end of the line.. I've attached the not particularly helpful picture from the parts list. vac pipe.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
              My memory had scrambled that a bit..the multi way connector must have self destructed & I had replaced it with two t pieces, manifold vac in, distributor out, connection to second t piece on one, second one to heater and air cleaner temp valve, so, rightly or wrongly I've not put distributor at the end of the line.. I've attached the not particularly helpful picture from the parts list. [ATTACH]n339002[/ATTACH]
              Blooomin nora John, that is a right birds nest way british leyland used! Surly there's an easier way?
              but at least now I know what is connected to where and what for for.
              There is a long thin pipe from the heater, so at least i know whats involved now.
              Thank you John, really appreciate it.
              See you at the nec this weekend?
              Last edited by Mr bump; 18th March 2024, 21:44.

Comment

My memory had scrambled that a bit..the multi way connector must have self destructed & I had replaced it with two t pieces, manifold vac in, distributor out, connection to second t piece on one, second one to heater and air cleaner temp valve, so, rightly or wrongly I've not put distributor at the end of the line.. I've attached the not particularly helpful picture from the parts list. [ATTACH]n339002[/ATTACH]
                John, is there any chance of a picture or two of your set up?
                I'm driving the car 60 mile to the nec on Thursday so would love to have it running right.

Comment

John, is there any chance of a picture or two of your set up?
                  I'm driving the car 60 mile to the nec on Thursday so would love to have it running right.
                  I'll try to move some stuff out of the way tonight & see if I can get at it with the camera, I know that it isn't the original way, but it seemed to run ok when I tried it..

Comment

I'll try to move some stuff out of the way tonight & see if I can get at it with the camera, I know that it isn't the original way, but it seemed to run ok when I tried it..
                    That's would be great John thank you mate.

Comment

Success John, just rigged the vacuum system up minus the wax stat/flap on the air intake arm, and it's spot on.
                      thanks again.

Comment

Success John, just rigged the vacuum system up minus the wax stat/flap on the air intake arm, and it's spot on.
                        thanks again.
                        Excellent! Good job really, there is a lot of stuff between me & a photo of mine

Comment

Working...
                        X