No announcement yet.

S Series oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to go completly off topic here,guys,but i have a complete engine and box sat on the floor,here,with only 43 k miles on it,out of a '88 montego.complete everything,just plug and play!! .

Its like new,and i dont want to throw it away,so its free to a good home.

If you had someone to help change the engine with you,and you dont mind the fact that the car wont be original,then it could work out cheaper than the price of a new HG itselfs.

Yes ,i am far away,but would be willing to meet half way,should you cover a bit of my fuel.

Its only a thought,but it worth a shot....
    1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
    1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
    1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

Update:

So far no action has been taken on the oil leak from the head gasket, other than topping the engine up on a regular basis.

However the exhaust is starting to emit bluish smoke and a burnt oil odour.

Could this be also be a head gasket related issue? If so, I'll tackle the problem with more urgency.
      Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
      173,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by D813YBB

Could this be also be a head gasket related issue? If so, I'll tackle the problem with more urgency.

There is a very slim chance that blue oily smoke could be only due to head gasket, but I would be more inclined to suspect general engine wear on an S series engine. A compression test or better still a cylinder leakage test might go some way towards diagnosing the main cause of wear but inevitably some dismantling of the engine and cylinder head will be neccessary to reveal the full extent of the problem.

Making sure the breathers are nice and clear and good engine oil might help to keep you going longer in the short term while you decide your options.

Comment

[QUOTE=D813YBB]
          My local garage has quoted approximately £400.00 to fix the leak by renewing the head gasket.
          QUOTE]

My local garage quoted me half that for labour for changing the whole engine!

Comment

Originally posted by D813YBB
            My local garage has quoted approximately £400.00 to fix the leak by renewing the head gasket.
            Originally posted by BikerGran
            My local garage quoted me half that for labour for changing the whole engine!
            Changing an engine is quicker than a head gasket for most people.
            I guess your budget garage add the cost of parts on top.

Comment

Working...
            X