Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil warning light + black smoke - perkins diesel 2.0l

Hi all

Still got the old lady. After extensive work including head gasket it's still showing oil warning light - flickering on local journeys but solid on when hot down the motorway - puffs of black smoke esp on starting and revs.

Anyone know likely cause - head wasn't skimmed or gasket failure? ring dropped or worse - I'd like to take it back to mechanic but with some idea of what's wrong in case the job wasn't done right.

Any ideas/help much appreciated.

Ed

Oil warning light...! Mis-post - apologies

Should be in Montego tech help!

Comment

Faulty pressure switch? ,but....

The smoking is something more serious...

Mine is the same,sadly,smokes all the time,and im afraid to boot it,in case the rozzers have me!! (mines a countryman)

I was talking to my mate today (another fellow member) who thinks that its the injectors "dribbling",and not spraying,as such.!!

I beg to differ,but i think more along the lines of the turbo gone.

I could be very wrong,and im not 100% up on the perkins diesel (im not much qualified on the o-series,either!) :laugh:

Someone else will be along to help,(and help me too!)

1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
      1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
      1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

If diesel is only dripping through the injectors, try some diesel red-ex... That stuff rocks!

Black smoke in the excess can be dirty injectors, a worn turbo and so I've been told, dirty inlet (Air Filter).

Comment

If the oil light is solidly on when at motorway speeds, it's a serious problem. I would immediately check the oil level. If you have enough oil in the sump, change the oil pressure sender, just to make sure it's not faulty. If the light still comes on, the pump may be on the way out, and if it's not circulating oil around the engine, that's pretty much game over for that engine. When did you last change the oil and filter?

Comment

The oil pressure light comes on when you've got less than about 4psi of oil pressure. A healthy engine should produce about 60psi of oil pressure.

If it isn't the switch and the engine has been run like this for any length of time then it is most likely fit for scrap. Sorry to put it so bluntly but without oil pressure the engine will destroy itself in minutes.

However change the sensor and see what happens. They can fail, and check the wiring to the sensor at the same time.

Lastly occasionally the pressure relief valve on the pump sticks open giving low oil pressure. You can try to clean this out to be sure before condemning the engine.

Oh yes one last thing, check the sump isn't dented so much that it is blocking the oil pickup to the pump.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
              The oil pressure light comes on when you've got less than about 4psi of oil pressure. A healthy engine should produce about 60psi of oil pressure.

If it isn't the switch and the engine has been run like this for any length of time then it is most likely fit for scrap. Sorry to put it so bluntly but without oil pressure the engine will destroy itself in minutes.

However change the sensor and see what happens. They can fail, and check the wiring to the sensor at the same time.

Lastly occasionally the pressure relief valve on the pump sticks open giving low oil pressure. You can try to clean this out to be sure before condemning the engine.

Oh yes one last thing, check the sump isn't dented so much that it is blocking the oil pickup to the pump.
              I wouldn't write off an engine because of low oil pressure...

My Cavalier CDX was run many times with the oil light on (Pressure relief valve stuck) and when it was repaired, it was right as rain...

Similarly, my Fiesta Zetec did the same sort of thing.

Does the engine make any suspicious noises? Taps, rattles, bangs, knocks?

Try pouring some oil into it when it's running and see if the light goes out then. (I was told that if it does, then the pressure relief valve is stuck).

As said, check the wiring to the sensor... It might just be dodgy connections or something

Comment

Remind me never to buy a car from you then!

Adding oil to a running engine won't prove a faulty pressure relief valve it won't make any difference to it as the relief valve just stops the pump from developing excessive oil pressure, although adding oil to a running engine can concievably destroy the engine on a diesel if the oil is blown up into the crank case vent, (a known problem on diesels).

On the perkins there are 4 or 5 probable causes of genuine low oil pressure (ie. not a dodgy sensor).

1. Low oil
                2. Pressure relief valve stuck open
                3. Worn big end bearings
                4. Diesel leak into oil from a faulty fuel lift pump
                5. Sheared oil pump drive - unusual but gives no oil pressure at all as the pump stops turning - This happened to my old van I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                  Remind me never to buy a car from you then!

Adding oil to a running engine won't prove a faulty pressure relief valve it won't make any difference to it as the relief valve just stops the pump from developing excessive oil pressure, although adding oil to a running engine can concievably destroy the engine on a diesel if the oil is blown up into the crank case vent, (a known problem on diesels).

On the perkins there are 4 or 5 probable causes of genuine low oil pressure (ie. not a dodgy sensor).

1. Low oil
                  2. Pressure relief valve stuck open
                  3. Worn big end bearings
                  4. Diesel leak into oil from a faulty fuel lift pump
                  5. Sheared oil pump drive - unusual but gives no oil pressure at all as the pump stops turning - This happened to my old van I believe.
                  Car's still running around today

And I don't claim to be a mechanical whizz... I pick bits of information up from different people who have different ways of doing things

Comment

Originally posted by malpas820@hotmail.co View Post
                    Mine is the same,sadly,smokes all the time,and im afraid to boot it,in case the rozzers have me!! (mines a countryman)

I was talking to my mate today (another fellow member) who thinks that its the injectors "dribbling",and not spraying,as such.!!

I beg to differ,but i think more along the lines of the turbo gone.

:
                    If you have not already done so you should blank off the EGR valve so that recirculated exhaust gas does not enter the inlet manifold, doing that should clean up the BLACK smoke significantly. I think E_T_V may have a template to make a blanking plate???. Once you have done that find a quiet stretch of road to do some runs on wide throttle to clear the exhaust of soot.

Comment

No sadly I've not got a template to an EGR blank, I simply welded mine shut! If it is leaking it will cause a lot of black smoke and a loss of power. The injectors are usually reliable.

How is the performance? If it is unusually good perhaps someone has been fiddling with the pump. Also what is the boost pressure as it is common for it to drop with age.

Comment

From my car's history,e.g been owned by elderly gent all its life,and has early life service history,that and as you see by my pictures,its in very good nick.

First thing i done when i bought it,was change all filters,drop the sump,and clean it,after i ran engine flush through it,then fit new oil filter,sump gasket,and mobil 10/40w good oil.

It then seem to blow white smoke then,at first,but now back to black!!

Theres seems quite abit of oil in the neck,up to the air filter,which i thought could be the turbo!!

The boost and performance is spot on,it flys,if wound up,and is as good as any other one ive had.but this is engine is really quiet ,on the move ,and is very smooth! Really superb,but sad it smokes!!

My other diesel monts,have been like driving an old tranny!!:laughnoisy buggers!)

Whats and where is this egr valve thingy,and can you show me how to shut it off,if you think this helps.

Sorry to go on,and take this thread away from the other fellow member,but maybe we have same problems........
                        1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
                        1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
                        1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
                          If you have not already done so you should blank off the EGR valve so that recirculated exhaust gas does not enter the inlet manifold, doing that should clean up the BLACK smoke significantly. I think E_T_V may have a template to make a blanking plate???.
                          I have the EGR Blanking plates made up, should you need them.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the answers. I'm still concerned that my head wasn't fitted right and the simultaneous black smoking and oil pressure light. Any thoughts on the following advce:

Diesel Engine Problems - The Answer is in the Smoke

We can generally understand what is wrong with a diesel engine by the colour of smoke emitted from the exhaust. There are three basic colours - black, white and blue.
                            Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :

* Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
                            * Faulty injector pump
                            * Dirty air cleaner
                            * Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
                            * Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)

White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

* Engine/pump timing out
                            * Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
                            * Low engine compression
                            * Water/petrol in the fuel

Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil

* Worn cylinders or piston rings
                            * Faulty valves or valve stem seals
                            * Engine over full with engine oil
                            * Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

Comment

yeah i would agree with the above

Comment

Working...
                              X