Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit cheaper here Andyhttp://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301034016601?nav=SEARCH

Comment

Remove the pump or connect it to a battery first just to rule old the pump completely
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        Remove the pump or connect it to a battery first just to rule old the pump completely
        Thanks Jeff, I will get my guy to try & get under the car in the garage with the meter. I've got a new multimeter but don't know how to use it lol.

Apparently there is a fuel pump relay somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
          Thanks Jeff, I will get my guy to try & get under the car in the garage with the meter. I've got a new multimeter but don't know how to use it lol.

Apparently there is a fuel pump relay somewhere?
          That's the black box about 2in x 2in x 1in. Multifunction unit. it's to the right of the engine bay and should be on a bracket attached to the rear of the turret

Comment

That's the black box about 2in x 2in x 1in. Multifunction unit. it's to the right of the engine bay and should be on a bracket attached to the rear of the turret
            Oh that thing, I wondered what that did lol. I think it has one of those skinny breather pipes attached to it. How does one know if that is working?

In fact I know I havn't replaced it, are there any new ones about?

I want a new or recon brake servo too so I can "A" have a spare but so I can get one painted up nicely & have it all fitted when I get a few other bits done in a few weeks time.

Comment

I think this must be the one I had fitted - same colour.
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-200-...item4ad1529e94

What about this Delphi one? OEM part.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mon...item5af933ab7c

Comment

And you've checked it first before you buy a new one?

Comment

And you've checked it first before you buy a new one?
                  I havn't yet as the guy will do that next week but I am going to get another anyway just in case which I will have fitted & if the blue one is any good keep it for an emergency lol.

I don't know how soon after he comes next Saturday that I can get him to come back so want it there ready if required.

Comment

UPDATE.

I had my mechanic guy out this morning & he did the following :-

Checked fuses = OK.
                    Checked Fuel Relay = OK.
                    Checked Fuel Pump = OK.
                    Checked Connections On The Pump = OK but tightened one.
                    Checked Fuel Level = OK but added a gallon.

For some reason the car will start but cut out after about 3 seconds as pump is not kicking in. Fuel pump WILL NOT work when using the car for the power supply but when an external power supply is connected to the pump the car runs perfectly. He has checked the earth from the ecu that apparently was a pain at times (not on mine but in general).
                    He put a probe into the connectors of the fuel relay. How many live ones should there be to light up the probe?

Any ideas? Apparently he seems believes there is a small fuel ECU tucked behind the glovebox somewhere? Can anyone shine more light on that & a part number as I may as well order one of those too?

Thanks....
                    Last edited by The Express Valeter; 5th April 2014, 12:49.

Comment

Hi! I'm not sure your car has a fuel ecu in the glovebox. I have but I think they were a combined fuel and ignition ecu on later models. I could be totally wrong about that though. I'm sure the guys on here will be able to tell you better but doesn't the oil pressure switch also have something to do with the fuel pump. I think if pressure drops the pump will stop. I'm really not sure though

Comment

Hi

There is no ecu in the glove box on your model, and the oil pressure switch is not involved in the pump operation on MEMS.

The problem is most likely to be the fuel pump relay inside the MFU or if not that the wiring associated with the control of the relay.

Change the MFU.

Comment

I think this must be the one I had fitted - same colour.
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-200-...item4ad1529e94

What about this Delphi one? OEM part.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mon...item5af933ab7c
                          The top one was the one I had that lasted five minutes, the other one looks the same

Comment

I bought a new fuel relay & it does the same if that one is connected. I also have a new Delphi pump too & it cut out when that was connected to.

Comment

I bought a new fuel relay & it does the same if that one is connected. I also have a new Delphi pump too & it cut out when that was connected to.
                              Hello You know that the problem is not with the fuel pump because the engine runs whilst cranking, the fuel pump is fed via the starter circuit at this time. The problem will be in the wiring associated with the switching of the fuel pump relay inside the MFU this includes the ECU because the relay is earthed through the ECU. There is a also a possibility that there is a problem with the ballast resistor and associated wiring.

You will need to test whether or not the fuel pump relay is actually being switched on by testing the output to the fuel pump from the MFU relay, the relay is only energised for a second when the ignition is first turned on, thereafter the MEMS ECU has to receive a run signal from the crank sensor before it re-energises the relay. You will need to allow the MEMS ECU to power down for 30 seconds each time you test for the relay switching.

Do you have or have access to a wiring diagram as this will give you the correct wiring colours for the relay output? If you know the wire colour for the fuel pump relay earth then you can also earth that wire manually to see if the engine will run. This would indicate that the FP relay and ballast resistor circuit are ok, which would leave you the wiring from the MFU to the MEMS ECU or the MEMS ECU being faulty.

The MFU contains multiple relays i.e. the main relay the fuel pump relay the starter relay and the oxygen sensor relay if a catalytic converter is fitted.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for that. Pity you don't live round here lol. I will show this to the mechanic when he comes next.
                                There is no catalytic converter on my car.
                                I do have an official workshop manual but I am not technical so don't really understand it.

Pretty sure the relay does switch on as I hear it click.

Comment

Working...
                                X