non starting Efi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non starting Efi

Having problems trying to find out why my son's MG Montego efi won't start.
    I know it's fuel related as all the crank, temp, knock, coil, spark plugs etc all all working.
    Fuel pump won't prime and won't work except when I put a live and earth straight to it.
    Then it's working and pumping fuel but the car still wouldn't start.
    I removed the fuel rail and left the injectors connected but fuel didn't blast out from them but the pump is working as ive 'live wired' it and it's pumping. The fuel rail is full of fuel.
    Checked inertia switch, changed both relays, changed ballast resistor, put another fuel ecu on it and still nothing.
    I'm running out of ideas here so any ideas I can go with anyone?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Are you getting enough pressure to the rail Jeff just with you saying its not coming through the injectors? could suggest blockage in the fuel lines or filter maybe? as for the power issue the cut off hasnt tripped or anything stupid like that has it? also i knew of an efi years ago had a fuel pump wire issue im sure it was near the rear wheel arch were a bit of harness can split if I can remember that far back lol.

Comment

failing all that just out of interest you should see if will fire on a little squirt of easy start as if it does it has to be an easy fix but if it doesn't it may suggest ecu/ecu wiring fault. The odd thing is it sounds like the car has switched its fuel off to protect itself as when your priming the pump and still not starting that suggest 2 separate faults but to happen at the exact same time is very unlikely. It sounds like some things down it knows it so its turned the fuel off, what about oil pressure switch does this work the same as the turbo model were it will kill the fuel if it detects low pressure?
      Last edited by autofitservices; 17th May 2015, 20:20.

Comment

Iirc the oil pressure switch is also involved in the emergency cut off side of things so may be worth checking.

Comment

Hi Jeff I know you have changed the relays but it does sound like an EFI main relay problem doesn't it?

Have you swapped the two silver bosch relays for known working identical type relays Jeff?

Can you hear the stepper motor rattle when you switch the ignition on for the first time and when you turn off? If you don't hear the stepper motor rattle you have a fair idea that the electrical circuit between the car and, the EFI ECU and the EFI relay or the EFI ECU its self or EFI relay its self, are where the problem is.

You would then have to check out the associated live feeds and earths with these components.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
            Hi Jeff I know you have changed the relays but it does sound like an EFI main relay problem doesn't it?

Have you swapped the two silver bosch relays for known working identical type relays Jeff?

Can you hear the stepper motor rattle when you switch the ignition on for the first time and when you turn off? If you don't hear the stepper motor rattle you have a fair idea that the electrical circuit between the car and, the EFI ECU and the EFI relay or the EFI ECU its self or EFI relay its self, are where the problem is.

You would then have to check out the associated live feeds and earths with these components.

Cheers, Gary
            Hi Gary
            The stepper motor does sound when the ignition is switch on. I am trying another fuel ecu with the same part number on the car later in the week but as you say it does sound like the relay isn't working. I have swopped both relays but will try again.
            My next job is to plug in a fast check for electronic ignition that should cover the fuel system, hopefully that should point me in the right direction as i'm a bit stumped atm.
            I'm studying the complete wiring diagram to eliminate everything else, but it all seems to go back to either the fuel ecu or relay's
            Autofitservices
            I don't think the oil switch has much to do with the fuel system on an efi. It does affect the Turbo though as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
              I removed the fuel rail and left the injectors connected but fuel didn't blast out from them but the pump is working as ive 'live wired' it and it's pumping.
              Hi Jeff

Was the above test carried out when cranking?

The EFI ECU switches the Main EFI relay on and off, but the Main EFI relay powers up other circuits within the EFI ECU. So in a nut shell the EFI ECU turns its self on and off via the main EFI relay.

It is good news that the stepper motor can be heard because this means the EFI Relay is working and it is being controlled to some degree by the EFI ECU. That is not to say the EFI ECU doesn't have a fault in its other control systems or the associated wiring or the wrong type main relay.

Depending on the answer to my above question about your quote and the correct type relays are fitted, the fault should be in the wiring between ECU and the fuel pump relay, or a faulty fuel pump relay or EFI ECU.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Jeff

Was the above test carried out when cranking?

The EFI ECU switches the Main EFI relay on and off, but the Main EFI relay powers up other circuits within the EFI ECU. So in a nut shell the EFI ECU turns its self on and off via the main EFI relay.

It is good news that the stepper motor can be heard because this means the EFI Relay is working and it is being controlled to some degree by the EFI ECU. That is not to say the EFI ECU doesn't have a fault in its other control systems or the associated wiring or the wrong type main relay.

Depending on the answer to my above question about your quote and the correct type relays are fitted, the fault should be in the wiring between ECU and the fuel pump relay, or a faulty fuel pump relay or EFI ECU.

Cheers
                Hi Gary
                Yes it was cranking over, live wired the pump so that was working but the injectors didn't squirt any petrol out.
                I also tried adding wires straight to the pump from an earth and live to the resistor to see if it would prime
                Will be having another look see hopefully later in the week and will report back.
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 19th May 2015, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                  Hi Gary
                  Yes it was cranking over, live wired the pump so that was working but the injectors didn't squirt any petrol out.
                  I also tried adding wires straight to the pump from an earth and live to the resistor to see if it would prime
                  Will be having another look see hopefully later in the week and will report back.
                  Hi Jeff.

If it was only a fuel pump issue the injectors would have operated when you cranked over with the rail primed. So you can assume the problem to be the wiring between the main relay and EFI ECU or ECU earths or a faulty EFI ECU or incorrect main relay.

Unless of course you are unlucky enough to have more than one fault.

The fuel pump resistor is in series with the pump, so both sides of the resistor are affectively live.

Gary

Comment

Its alive. The problem was both relays and both of the ones I replaced them with and the fuel resistor.
                    All working now but misses.
                    Checked injectors, changed plugs and distributor cap. Haven't changed the leads yet but all plugs are sparking but it's still missing a bit.
                    I have a feeling it might be stale fuel.

Comment

Hi Jeff, nice to hear you have it running.

How long has the fuel been in? Petrol can go off in as little as 9 to 12 months.

Comment

Hi Jeff, nice to hear you have it running.

How long has the fuel been in? Petrol can go off in as little as 9 to 12 months.
                        Thanks Gary
                        There was power into the relays but not out so was in the end an easy find.
                        Easy when you bring testers with you this time lol

As far as im aware, about 4 years so it's well off so there is a possibility of one of the injectors not working fully
                        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 26th May 2015, 04:04.

Comment

The car has now passed it's MOT but it's still missing a little. Hoping that fresh petrol and injection cleaner will sort it eventually as my son's will be using it quite often

Comment

Still running rough,
                            Number one plug is wet with petrol but all others are dry. Changed the plug and lead but still wet.
                            When I get back from holiday I will do a compression test and see where that leads but the head may have to come off to check the valves.

Comment

could be a bad contact or electrical path breakdown within the dizzy cap for that cylinder?
                              midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Working...
                              X