Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TLC View Post
    My garage is haveing a problem getting the ideling to settle and he is saying faulty stepper motor ?but have asked them to get it through the mot first.
    The stepper motor was ok when it was last run so dont think it is that but as he didnt touch / look at the stepper motor i asked him to put 2 new rings on to see if that is the cause.
    Any other reasons it could be ?
    Hi TLC

The reason the garage can't get the idle to settle down could be just down to them not following the adjustment procedure correctly.

It is important that they set the fast idle first, then always approach the correct idle speed setting from a higher than normal engine speed.

If they don't and the idle speed drops too low the ECU will index the stepper motor to speed up the engine. Once that happens it takes about 30 to 60 seconds for the engine speed to return to where it was. If the idle speed setting is still too low the whole cycle will be repeated.

Comment

As i said it seams ok atm .I ll see how it runs for a while and in the mean time try to locate some stepper motor screws which i beleave were not sold seperatly ? in readyness for visit to the carb center.
      Last edited by TLC; 23rd June 2015, 18:39.
      Sure & steadfast.
      BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
      1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

This might be the one:

http://sucarb.co.uk/stepper-motor-mounting-kit.html
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Thanks Simon.
          Ive booked it in the carb center for thursday but will take it up before the shut today as iam in hospital thurday for some lazor eye surgery.
          The garage didnt spend to much time on them as i said just get it donr for the mot.It is a bit low revining today and flooded until the engine had warmed up so i ll leave it the the carb guys who know what there doing and they said they may have a set of screws anyway .I ll ask them to replace the 0 rings aswell.
          Last edited by TLC; 24th June 2015, 19:05.
          Sure & steadfast.
          BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
          1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
          1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Hope your surgery goes well - and your car comes out performing as it should!
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
            X