Who rebuilds your T3 Turbo's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who rebuilds your T3 Turbo's?

I'm Looking for someone to check over and replace as needed parts in my T3 Turbo for my car.

I noticed kits online for what I think is needed but really don't want to do this myself. Who do you use?

Ben

Contact wilky (wilkey?) on rovertech.net. He has a good reputation. I think he also goes by "Bernies Blowers"
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thanks. Will give him a go.

Comment

It is something you can do yourself, if you are mechanically minded. The overhaul kit, containing all the bits you will need for the job, is about £50. I've just done mine, and other than difficulties in undoing the hot-side housing to centre core bolts, it was all very straight forward.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Who sells the correct service kits?

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
            It is something you can do yourself, if you are mechanically minded. The overhaul kit, containing all the bits you will need for the job, is about £50. I've just done mine, and other than difficulties in undoing the hot-side housing to centre core bolts, it was all very straight forward.
            You CAN do it yourself, however you SHOULDN'T as you have no way of checking/correcting the turbine balance and this is EXTREMELY important.

If you do DIY it you should get it balanced afterward and most builders won't let DIY builds on their balancing rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
              You CAN do it yourself, however you SHOULDN'T as you have no way of checking/correcting the turbine balance and this is EXTREMELY important.

If you do DIY it you should get it balanced afterward and most builders won't let DIY builds on their balancing rigs.
              I absolutely agree Dan. However I was advised by someone who rebuilds turbos for the company he works for and who operate in the motorsport sector. By following his instructions it is possible to strip and rebuild with the original shaft and turbine balance being retained.

Originally posted by beniboyz View Post
              Who sells the correct service kits?
              Companies like TurboRebuild ( http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/websho...and-seals.html ) or there are a few outlets on Ebay that do them.
              Membership Secretary

Comment

Motorsport turbos don't need to last long though!

Whilst you can mark the shaft and wheels to try and keep them in the same position there is no gaurentee it was in balance when you take it apart, nor that you achieve the same alignment on reassembly.

Comment

After some deliberation, I've decided to send it off to Bernie' s Blowers. He has said £200 to rebuild it so that saves me the worry.

Comment

Ended up sending the turbo to Turborebuild in Blackpool as Their turn around is quicker. I'm glad I sent it off as it has a few issues:

The Turbine shaft has some light scoring to it. This ideally wants replacing as is borderline being outside of spec.
                    Bearing housing has scoring and wear to the Journal faces
                    Turbine housing - There is a crack across the waste gate penny face that has "stepped" which is not allowing the waste gate penny to seal. There is also a crack travelling up the "throat" of the Turbine housing which is structural and if continues to develop will result in failure of the housing.

So I've opted for the following:

Cleaning of all components
                    New Turbine shaft and wheel
                    New Bearing Housing
                    New Turbine Housing
                    New Bearings seals and fasteners (360 race bearing, step gap seal)
                    Balance
                    Labour
                    Delivery

Comment

That sounds like you will be ending up with an almost new turbo. Did they give you the option and would it have been cheaper?
                      Membership Secretary

Comment

They gave a few options, but no a new one wasn't cheaper. Repair was £300 all in with upgraded seals and bearings.

Comment

In which case, you got a good deal there. I shall be interested to hear what you think about their service, once you get it back.
                          Membership Secretary

Comment

Yes, so will I! Am I right in saying that the carb needle BGB is for standard tune? Only ask as I've said 10psi for the boost..

Comment

BGB for early turbos, BGQ after that inc. all Maestro Turbos. BGB runs a little richer. Not sure what availability is like though.
                              1989 MG Maestro Turbo #413

1986 MG Maestro EFi - Dead but still here
                              1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 L - Dead and in heaven

2001 Rover 75 CDT (Daily Runner)

Comment

Working...
                              X