Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Valve/Seals Question. Montego TD 2.0

Hi Lads.

was after confirmation, on a head im building to TD spec.

Im rebuilding a cylinder head. Not sure if it was a turbo or not.

But the valve diameters all match spec of the TD.

BUT

its obviously got the old type seals in it. (Without the washer built in)

ive got the replacement seals to go in.

But are the old type ok for TD usage?

ive read that on TD im meant to buy 4 new inlet valves,And 4 NEW type seals.

Also, are the Valves the same on turbo and Non-Turbo heads?

the cam lobes are longer on the TD cam thats going in the head,

Than the one that came with the head.

Maybe that gives its original origins away?

Whole head is the same between NASP and turbo including the cam from memory. (assuming sourced from a maestro/montego of course.

Valves are therefore the same too.

There were two sorts of valve seal. The earlier was push-on with a washer under the spring. Later ones are one unit in a top hat design. Either work fine.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
      Whole head is the same between NASP and turbo including the cam from memory. (assuming sourced from a maestro/montego of course.

Valves are therefore the same too.

There were two sorts of valve seal. The earlier was push-on with a washer under the spring. Later ones are one unit in a top hat design. Either work fine.
      Cheers mate. Poss lobes are bigger as its the marine version. Or the cam lobes are worn on the donar head i bought.

I'll use the standerd seals then. Saves money.

Cheers for the confirmation mate.

Comment

Is that the penta engine? If so it is a higher output than the prima so quite possibly has larger valves and different cam. I'm afraid you'd have to measure or compare dimensions in the manuals to see if they are significantly different.

Comment

Is that the penta engine? If so it is a higher output than the prima so quite possibly has larger valves and different cam. I'm afraid you'd have to measure or compare dimensions in the manuals to see if they are significantly different.

Thats the one mate, penta engine.

Ive checked all measurements, and the valves are identicle.

But the Cam on my engine, is different then all penta version's of the engine, based on the prima. Theres around 5 variations of my engine volvo produced, i.e. non turbo,different engine routing. Etc. Volvo love making life hard lol.

Its also obviously different then the perkins prima versions.

Just the lobes, so it still fits the head ive got fine. Phew.

It must keep the valve open for a tad longer, with the longer lobe. More bang im guessing? Lol

I need new valves though.

Cheapest ive seem, is around £70 for the set

Comment

Valves are usually very reliable. Why do you need new ones?

More lift on the cam (longer lobe) means for more airflow through the engine (but greater strain on the valve train components). The profile of the cam also determines the performance too which is why there is probably a difference between versions. I think the NASP and turbo prima in the car got the same cam though.

Comment

Valves are usually very reliable. Why do you need new ones?

More lift on the cam (longer lobe) means for more airflow through the engine (but greater strain on the valve train components). The profile of the cam also determines the performance too which is why there is probably a difference between versions. I think the NASP and turbo prima in the car got the same cam though.
              The valve crown depth on the tamd22 is alot closer to head than on a normal prima.

As the valves that came with my new head had prob done over 100k miles, by the time they had been lapped in (was pitting on the chrome) would of sunk them in the valve seat to much.

Just need to cover all bases this time i guess

Shame though, turbo just cost £300 to repair.

Turbo Was rebuilt not long back. Obv not correctly.

Valve crown depth position under cylinder head face

Inlet
              MD22L, MD22, TMD22.....................................0.90-1.24 mm

TMD22P, TAMD22............................................ 0.25-0.59

Exhaust

Valve crown depth position under cylinder head face
              MD22L, MD22, TMD22.....................................1.30-1.64 mm

TMD22P, TAMD22............................................ 0.65-0.91 mm
              Last edited by jw2000uk; 19th October 2015, 22:16.

Comment

If you lap them in and they sit deeper into the head then the only effect is to lower the compression ratio which isn't going to give any real issues. The valve will usually lap in easily enough. When I did mine I didn't even need to re-adjust the cam shims, and they had probably the same sort of milage on them. I'd try it and see as I think you'll find they all clean up quite easily.

You will need to check whichever cam you use doesn't cause the valves to clip the pistons though! (especially if you are mixing and matching bits from various heads)

Comment

If you lap them in and they sit deeper into the head then the only effect is to lower the compression ratio which isn't going to give any real issues. The valve will usually lap in easily enough. When I did mine I didn't even need to re-adjust the cam shims, and they had probably the same sort of milage on them. I'd try it and see as I think you'll find they all clean up quite easily.

You will need to check whichever cam you use doesn't cause the valves to clip the pistons though! (especially if you are mixing and matching bits from various heads)
                  Told the engineer to use old ones mate, so thats saved me money lol. Cheers for that info

Agreed mate This is my major concern,

The piston petrusion seems to be within range, but im going to triple check.

Piston height over cylinder block surface.............0.46-0.65 mm

Will dti check again tmrw.

When i do put it all together, i'll be turning by hand a fair few times.

Just hope at high revs they dont connect.

Comment

Another thing i found while stripping it all.

Not sure if u remember, my 3rd cyl was down around 60psi on the other 3.

Done oil test, and psi shot right up. (Rings)

But i sunce found out the 3rd injector wasnt sealing. And was coked up after no hours usage atall.

So hopefully the compression loss was through the injector hole, and rings are fine

What dya reckon mate?

Last edited by jw2000uk; 20th October 2015, 17:38.

Comment

Yes that is certainly possible, any leak will be significant due to the high compression ratio. You'll usually hear/feel a bad leak though. The sealing washers are copper ones with a domed ridge on one side. I always have to look which way round they are supposed to go!.

Comment

Yes that is certainly possible, any leak will be significant due to the high compression ratio. You'll usually hear/feel a bad leak though. The sealing washers are copper ones with a domed ridge on one side. I always have to look which way round they are supposed to go!.
                        Ah, i did hear a rush of air, after testing.

But obviously assumed it was from the oil fill hole.

Could of been past the injector hole.

Oh, thats another thing i didnt know. Thought they went either way up lol.
                        Last edited by jw2000uk; 21st October 2015, 10:34.

Comment

Working...
                        X