Montego 2.0 Diesel Front wheel bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego 2.0 Diesel Front wheel bearing replacement

I have a noisy front wheel bearing on my Montego countryman estate, any information on changing same would be welcome. I have already bought the replacement bearing. Thank you Normanuk.

Originally posted by normanuk View Post
    I have a noisy front wheel bearing on my Montego countryman estate, any information on changing same would be welcome. I have already bought the replacement bearing. Thank you Normanuk.
    I usually remove the hub and take it to my local Kwik fit. They change them for me, so try there
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Local garage for me, costs a tenner.
      Off the top of my head, 17, 19 and 32mm sockets needed....

Comment

This job can be a PITA.

I did this job recently. I decided to do both sides. I took the hubs to a local garage with a good rep. They charged £15 a go. The first one went OK. On the second hub the guy bent one of the mountings for the brake caliper and failed to press out the bearing. He just handed it back without mentioning the damage. I took it to an engineering shop and they had a better press with more experienced people to operate it. It cost £40 there. They noticed the bent mounting before they started. Because I didn't spot it immediately there was no point trying to take it back to the garage and complain. It was clear that I would just get nowhere. "We'll try but it's at your own risk". Heating with a blow torch and bending the mounting back accurately was slow and difficult. I used a clamped straight edge of an engineers square and a digital vernier to measure and make sure it was aligned with the unbent mounting. 0.2mm off was as close as I could get, because I didn't want to over bend it. I had a shim the right thickness that I modified to fit to make up the difference. I sprayed the bend area with penetrating oil allowed to soak, then wiped off and used a light dusting of talcum powder and checked with a magnifying lens for any sign of cracking.

According to the engineering shop modern hub carriers on things like Renaults just collapse when they try to press the bearing out. Another point they made was that overheated bearings can end up with the tracks fused to hub carrier from the heat. Maybe I didn't notice them when they started rumbling because I have a Prima diesel.

Comment

Working...
        X