Montego VIN stamp location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego VIN stamp location

I've an email request; the location of the stamped VIN number on a 1986 Montego. The VIN plate is easy enough to locate, and apparently the VIN isn't stamped on the suspension turret - where else did they stamp it if not there. It's a while since I looked at a Montego, so i can't recall where else.

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
    I've an email request; the location of the stamped VIN number on a 1986 Montego. The VIN plate is easy enough to locate, and apparently the VIN isn't stamped on the suspension turret - where else did they stamp it if not there. It's a while since I looked at a Montego, so i can't recall where else.
    Can also be on the off side inner front wing and/or the slam panel and bottom of the B post
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

The VIN plate or the stamp of the VIN number on to the bodywork? It's the latter I need the location of.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
        The VIN plate or the stamp of the VIN number on to the bodywork? It's the latter I need the location of.
        All stamps were only on the turret from memory. The plates moved about during the early years. 1986 should be on the turret. If not there its been replaced at somepoint I imagine or sprayed over as I've seen that

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          All stamps were only on the turret from memory. The plates moved about during the early years. 1986 should be on the turret. If not there its been replaced at somepoint I imagine or sprayed over as I've seen that
          Correct on this Jeff. My father actually designed the VIN marking machine (it is a roll marker design) for the Montego and the company he worked for (and later co-owned) built it and installed it on the assembly line.

They did modifications to the Maestro's VIN marker they also designed and supplied etc. so that its contact position on the bodyshell could be moved to the offside suspension turret in 1986.

Comment

Weren't some early cars stamped on the bulkhead rather than the turret top? And didn't these have the upside down VIN plate on the inner wing?

It is possible that the turret has been replaced due to accident damage too.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
              Weren't some early cars stamped on the bulkhead rather than the turret top? And didn't these have the upside down VIN plate on the inner wing?

Maybe so Dan, but shouldn't be on a 1986 car

Comment

Accident repairs erasing a trace of the stamp had crossed my mind. I didn't know about the bulkhead stamp, but recall vaguely some Maestros being stamped in the rain gutter below the scuttle.

Anyway, the request was for a Member who was trying to import a Montego to his homeland and was facing a wall of bureaucracy. The problem has now been resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Maybe so Dan, but shouldn't be on a 1986 car
                  My March 83 mg1600 just has the inner wing vin tag, and the metal stamped strip on the O/side top of the front panel in front of the headlight mount, nothing on the scuttle or anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                  X