Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0 Maestro Van starting problems

Hello,

i have just bought a 1988 maestro van with a carb 2.0 Montego engine it in. i picket it up from Birmingham and drove it all the way down to Guildford yesterday, all absolutely fine apart from a bit of pre-ignition wihich caused a bit of run-on.
    When i went to start it this morning it wouldn't even turn over, the battery is out of a 1.3 maestro but even with a jump pack it wouldn't start. the battery warning light is on but everything else powers up fine. the starter solenoid ticks every time i turn the key but will not crank over the engine.
    would anyone have an idea why it isn't cranking, my best bet is that the starter motor/solenoid has packed up but if anyone else has and ideas they would be much appreciated.

cheers

Alistair

Sounds like starter or solenoid, check earth to engine first, by connecting a jump lead from battery neg to engine, this is unlikely, but easy to check, if there is nothing flammable/explosive near it, get an assistant to turn the key, while you bridge the two big contacts on the solenoid (there will be a spark and heat generated, so be careful!), if it starts, then solenoid has failed, if not then either starter or battery, or live cable has failed.

Comment

PS, if it is the solenoid, take it off & soak it in switch cleaner, then dry out, this might get you an extra few months out of it....

Comment

Sounds like a duff battery to me (of a flat battery and a duff alternator).
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

right, bench tested old starter and it was a dud, new starter bench tested and works, fitted it to the car but still makes the same tick on the ignition and wont crank. i have tried starting it off of a jump pack and makes no difference.

Any ideas?

cheers

Comment

Do headlights dim when you try to start it? i.e. is starter working and engine seized?
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
            X