Early Montego VW Gear Change Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Montego VW Gear Change Fault

Hi all, delighted that after 10 years I MOT'd my 85 1.6L yesterday after initially failing on emissions. The clutch stuck recently as the car had been laid up for so long. I got the clutch unstuck ok and the car has done about 100 miles since. Thing is when driving if I change gear normally it is crunching in both 3rd and 2nd , unless I change gear slowly and gently and then it doesn't crunch. The car has very low miles ( below 8k ), and I have checked and there is sufficient gear oil in the gearbox. Any opinions? Does this sound clutch or gearbox related? Thanks :-)

hello, does reverse gear work ok? there is no synchromesh on reverse gear so if it is working ok then i think the clutch is ok.
    whats the oil like? does the vw box take multigrade oil? multigrade oil can thicken or go lumpy over time.

Comment

If it seems as though the clutch is ok (ie goes into reverse ok, as above) might be worth lubricating the gear linkage, they were never the best and if it has stiffened up after its 10 year holiday it might be impeding things a bit. I'd try Robert's suggestions first though, as they seem more likely..

Comment

Working...
      X