Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Roof leaks and rots out floor-pan

Hello All

If you read my previous comments on my efforts to repair my Montego estate I kept blaming the rust rat for all the damage, it had caused, however I owe this rust rat a bit of an apology!!!

It turns out that "some" of the water inside the car has been coming from the sun roof, dripping onto the passenger sear, making its way through that, then through the floor carpet, into the rear foot-well and then rotting out the floor-pan.

So, has anyone managed to repair the sun roof, i.e. there is a white coloured rubber band that surrounds the glass of the sun roof.

This rubber band has a "D" shaped section and "should" be incorporated inside the fabric surrounding the glass. I think the idea is that when the roof is closed the "D" is compressed to make a water tight seal.
    Right now, this white band is hanging loose below the glass, thereby letting the water through.
    How can I fix this, besides sticking some water proof tape over the gap in the roof/glass join, which I have done as temporary measure until next summer.

Any ideas would be greatly received.

kind regards
    Africar

From memory the sunroof seal is the same as a mk2 golf but check the length. But that's possibly not also your only issue unless you're positive that's where the leak is. You should remove the headliner and check the sunroof frame, connecting seal to the roof and drain tubes. Any sunroof leaks into a frame even when new so your possible second issue is the frame is also leaking somewhere. Ignore the second issue part if you're positive it's just the seal
    ​​
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 12th December 2021, 05:46.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Link, as always check first

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154613005...QAAOxy2LJRCTcO

Comment

Just to double check is the maestro sunroof the same as montego? The last day I had the mg out this year I noticed the headlining sagging at the back So I will get it professionally done next spring. But my sunroof has never opened and I can see the seal is knackered but it never goes out in the wet so never been a priority. I think its rusted shut! I bought a second hand frame in perfect condition few years back so while the headlining is out ail get that fixed. Was worried the seal might be impossible to find.
        MG Maestro Turbo #500
        BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
        Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Just to double check is the maestro sunroof the same as montego? The last day I had the mg out this year I noticed the headlining sagging at the back So I will get it professionally done next spring. But my sunroof has never opened and I can see the seal is knackered but it never goes out in the wet so never been a priority. I think its rusted shut! I bought a second hand frame in perfect condition few years back so while the headlining is out ail get that fixed. Was worried the seal might be impossible to find.
          I think the maestro sunroof has a different curve on it but can't be sure. The seal should be the same, the tray and The mechanism should also be the same. I can check on my epc if you wish to see in the glass is the same but you can remove the glass on your old one and put it on your replacement

Comment

The roof racks can leak a lot! It was not till I taped up the sun roof that I discovered this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

I think the maestro sunroof has a different curve on it but can't be sure. The seal should be the same, the tray and The mechanism should also be the same. I can check on my epc if you wish to see in the glass is the same but you can remove the glass on your old one and put it on your replacement
              The frame I bought didn't come with the glass so I will be using the glass in mine. Definitely a maestro frame and and definitely rust free. I remember a good few years ago I hit and speed bump at 30 that I didn't see because of sun in my eyes and got showered with rust from above!!! So I hope its the frame thats rusted and not the shell, but if it is it will have to be repaired. The joys of old car ownership!! Was just the seal I was worried about but if thats the best suggestion ail get some ordered for next year. Surprising now much VW stuff fits the maestro! I didn't want to get it repaired till the head lining sagged because it was in perfect unmarked condition and I didn't want it removed and damaged but now my hand has been forced ail get the job done.
              MG Maestro Turbo #500
              BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
              Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X