Knocking from front of car on deceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking from front of car on deceleration

Hi. Took the Monty out today for a spin as the weather was half decent and not raining for a change.
    i noticed after a few miles a knocking coming from the front when decelerating in a straight line. When i accelerated it went away,take foot of pedal and back it comes. Also on turning left i could here what i could only describe as a bag of nails,turn the wheel straight again and that goes away and knocking returns but then goes again when i accelerate. I'm thinking CV joint or bearing? Any help or advice greatly appreciated thankyou.

Knocking with steering lock on is often CV joint. But eliminate the simple stuff first - has something got trapped around the driveshaft? Stone stuck in between disc and shield? CV gaiter clamp come adrift?

If you can, jack up the car and put it on axle stands. Take the wheels off, then start engine and select first. Let engine idle in first gear so driveshafts rotate and have a look underneath to see if you can spot the source of the noise.

Comment

Yeah thankyou. Sounds like a plan? Its odd it only does it when i come of accelerator and cars rolling and goes when i accelerate. Like you say cv usually knocks when on lock so hoping this is more of an easy fix? When i turn in left it sounds like something is rattling? Odd. Will like you say check the easy stuff first. Thanks for advice and reply ,much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X