Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego fuel tank

Hi
    My montego has had its fuel tank removed as a few weeks ago i broke down. Rust and crud had got into the fuel pump. On removal it appears inside the tank is rusty. Is it possible to have the tank cleaned somehow or better to purchase a new one? If so where could i buy one?
    many thanks in advance
    Steve

Yes they can be cleaned have a read near the end, if not near Swansea there are other companies who do this, northern radiators are a company some have used so also try those https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...2-0-wont-start
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 17th April 2024, 18:02.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Thanks once again jeff. Read all that,blimey. Dose not look like a new tanks an option sadly. And if so to get one made up is very expensive. Not sure what route i will go yet? Cars a money pit. Thanks again
      steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve O View Post
        Thanks once again jeff. Read all that,blimey. Dose not look like a new tanks an option sadly. And if so to get one made up is very expensive. Not sure what route i will go yet? Cars a money pit. Thanks again
        steve
        If the tank has that much rust in it you should get it cleaned out. You should do some research on what companies clean etc. then get some quotes. New wouldn't be an option really as they're rare and too expensive. To get cleaned etc should be about £300-350 I expect if you took it to the company you chose. They would cut the top off, clean, de-rust and line it I imagine, then weld it back up and paint it.
        If it's only a little rust as you've removed the tank, try to get as much rust out as possible and add a filter before the fuel pump from the tank to protect the pump in future. Also you may want to remove the pump aswel and inspect it while you're at it. If you need a replacement pump I can put up a link for you. An added filter will also gradually reduce the amount of rust getting into the system if you change it every month for a time or until the rust stops coming through so much. Just make sure the return pipe into the tank is clear or you will have problems in the future
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th April 2024, 07:52.

Comment

Fantastic advice. Thankyou. Its a real job to see how rusty it is,but theres definitely rust in there. Watched a few DIY rusty tank cleans on YouTube. I think as you say getting a company to do it is best option. I'm in suffolk on essex border but have yet to source one? Maybe im googling it wrong? Will keep trying.

Comment

Fantastic advice. Thankyou. Its a real job to see how rusty it is,but theres definitely rust in there. Watched a few DIY rusty tank cleans on YouTube. I think as you say getting a company to do it is best option. I'm in suffolk on essex border but have yet to source one? Maybe im googling it wrong? Will keep trying.
            Try here as they advertise fuel tanks on their website and not far from you, not sure if they repair or make but it's a start so ring these http://sheldrakeandwells.co.uk/

Comment

Thankyou once again..will definitely be giving these a ring.

Comment

Have given them a ring. They said to bring it over so they can take a proper look and see the condition etc. So fingers crossed i can get this latest job sorted? Will keep you updated.

Comment

Have given them a ring. They said to bring it over so they can take a proper look and see the condition etc. So fingers crossed i can get this latest job sorted? Will keep you updated.
                  No worries
                  There are two MG Montego Turbos near you if you didn't know. On in white one in Witham area and a red one in Chelmsford
                  Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th April 2024, 09:54.

Comment

Working...
                  X