No announcement yet.

VP T16 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now there's a pic of your car here's a better attempt at my shop. Give me some time, I'll mock it up on white X spokes too.
    Attached Files
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Hey how did you do that! Now try it with 17" rims! but make sure you change the bushes and suspension too!
      sigpic
      63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
      'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
      '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
      '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
      'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
      '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
      'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Nicely photoshopped there! I think I do need a splitter from that photo is isn't too over the top.

Comment

That's the one straight off an EFi, as is the rear spoiler.
          Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
          E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
          H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
          J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
          L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
          OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
          PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

heres a pic of my old countryman with BRM Style alloys

Comment

For wheel size you might want to have a read at what I've written here:

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/menuwhe...and-tyres.html

Bigger is not always better. People often confuse responsiveness and sharpness of turn in as handling well. It isn't all about that.

As for wheel choice then a nice set of advantage cream cross spokes doesn't look bad on a VP.

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...ight=advantage

Simon has silver 6J cross spokes on his VP with VP logos on the centre caps. I'm sure there will be photos of it somewhere on here
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I can only speak from experience again, but the 17" wheels/tyres I had on my montys felt lighter than the original cross-spokes for sure - less alloy. But not necessarally a good think as they can buckle! I rode the 17s for many years on both my montys and have no complaints about the handling or comfort. We went to Cornwall every year in it for about 10 years and no-one was complaining about discomfort! Undoubtedly, the 15s would have been more comfortable though, I'm not disputing that! At the end of the day, like I said, it is all to do with personal choice - each to their own. If comfort was the main criteria on everyones agenda, then Porsche and BMW etc would be fitting higher profile tyres on their 911s and M3s combined with softer suspension! But yes, looks play a big part!
                Last edited by Jumturbo; 4th March 2009, 14:44.
                sigpic
                63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Nice idea for a project, Country Dude do let us know how it all goes.

As far as wheels go, if you're after a set of MGF-Style alloys then I've got a set of these which I'm trying to shift:

You'll probably need a spacer to stop them fouling your calipers.

However I think that Hurricane Grey x-spokes would also look the bee's nuts.

Here's a picture of a Maestro Vanden Plas with 6J X-Xpokes and custom-made VP decals on the centre caps:

I think it looks rather good - but then I would say that, wouldn't I?!

Oh - here's a close-up of the 6J wheel and decal:

Last edited by SimonR; 6th March 2009, 23:22.
                  You can contact me by clicking here.
                  Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Forgot to add (as Cat has just pointed out!) that this is almost the same as I was doing about this time last year - getting a 1.6 Maestro VP auto and converting it to a slightly faster ride.

There are a few things that you'd probably need to get for this project such as:

bigger exhaust
                    head shielding underneath (two parts)
                    pedal box
                    different loom in parts....

Give me a shout if you need any help with the conversion - I've moved to Fulbourn so am even closer these days ;-)
                    You can contact me by clicking here.
                    Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Thanks for that simon, is that your car? Looks good, where did you get those decals from?

Comment

Whats the latest on this mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
                          Whats the latest on this mate?
                          Aha, yes there has been some progress:

Ages ago the head was removed and on closer inspection the oil seals were literally burnt away on the valve guides so a full head set was ordered, head refaced and a rebuild:
                          Head is back, all shiny and ready to fit. Got head bolts and new shells too. Even though the head was in fairly good (although dirty) it was far from flat so it was skimmed.

Then After much deliberation I decided to go for new pistons as the bores were showing slight wear. After much waiting Vic sold me his old forgies from Mental for a good price so a rebore and bottom end rebuild has taken place there too!

I have a stainless exhaust from Evo Al who did me a good price, so I am well on the way. Engine bay is empty so I can press on when work allows.
                          Stripped down and a lick of paint

So I have the block at a friends lockup under a sheet waiting for the right time, as you can see the oil pump was stripped down and rebuilt, rebored out to 86 mm for vic's old pistons with their old war wounds! looking good! I will have to sort this out soon now as I don't have a car at the weekends now as I have people selling for me now! Deffo need a second car.

I am going to use the old clutch, as there is a few miles left on it, so apart from some Mgf wheels as I have decided the Countryman deserves the Cross spoke wheels. I think I am ready!

Comment

Great stuff mate, really good read keep it up! I think it looks ace with the MG front splitter on it by the way.

Comment

If you need inspiration about fitting spoilers - have a look at my Maestro here: http://www.aronline.co.uk/memberboucke3f.htm - it's only a measly 1.3, but I think using the spoilers colour coded is not too much over the top.

Regards,

Alexander
                              http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

I like the look of that on your car Alexander, I will go with the same but with side skirts to keep the dropped line down the side.

Hopefully this will allow the sleeper approach to still rule and not become an obvious fast car!

I also like the cheese graters on a meastro, but with the T16 they are not good enough, there just won't be enough rubber to keep grip.

I am looking for MGF alloys for this project.

Comment

Working...
                                X