VP T16 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VP T16 turbo

I have sourced parts for my project which is going to be my personal drive. Leaving the Countryman for business. It started with the purchase of a T16 engine. I have been hankering after a good petrol turbo project, after a bit of research I soon realised this was going to be the power plant.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230324987021

I bid on the VP Maestro
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330309734311

I know these conversion projects are not popular on here but I am going to be sympathetic to the original. The only mods to the outside being considered are a front splitter, rear spats ref: the efi models. But I may well leave it as a complete sleeper.

I have a coilover kit, big brake kit, fresh cross spokes (white) I have every intention of making this a great looking car.

The only definate mod is currently the cross spokes for firstly practical reasons, 200bhp will not transfer through 155 of high profile tyre without tearing! Also the white wheels against the read and grey, should be a good look I think!

Combine the fact that I have (hopefully a good condition!) 200bhp engine at 60k being fitted to a 37k VP maestro, I hope you all agree a worthy project for such a treasured machine! Believe me it will be treasured!
    I will update thread with pics as my many pieces of the puzzle arrive!

My intention is to give new life to an already classic car. I hope it is not viewed as a B4stardisation of a classic. Lets see how I do!

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
    I have sourced parts for my project which is going to be my personal drive. Leaving the Countryman for business. It started with the purchase of a T16 engine. I have been hankering after a good petrol turbo project, after a bit of research I soon realised this was going to be the power plant.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230324987021

I bid on the VP Maestro
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330309734311

I know these conversion projects are not popular on here but I am going to be sympathetic to the original. The only mods to the outside being considered are a front splitter, rear spats ref: the efi models. But I may well leave it as a complete sleeper.

I have a coilover kit, big brake kit, fresh cross spokes (white) I have every intention of making this a great looking car.

The only definate mod is currently the cross spokes for firstly practical reasons, 200bhp will not transfer through 155 of high profile tyre without tearing! Also the white wheels against the read and grey, should be a good look I think!

Combine the fact that I have (hopefully a good condition!) 200bhp engine at 60k being fitted to a 37k VP maestro, I hope you all agree a worthy project for such a treasured machine! Believe me it will be treasured!
    I will update thread with pics as my many pieces of the puzzle arrive!

My intention is to give new life to an already classic car. I hope it is not viewed as a B4stardisation of a classic. Lets see how I do!

I have two comments upon this project;

1: If you're doing the MG rear spoilers and front splitter, the MG Maestro/Monty GSi wheels would set them off a treat and still look in keeping with it's VP-ness (Esp. if you find VP centre caps) - I don't really think white cross-spokes would look as good; you'd just be making it look like an MG.

2: I'm here if you ever want to sell it.
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
      I have two comments upon this project;

1: If you're doing the MG rear spoilers and front splitter, the MG Maestro/Monty GSi wheels would set them off a treat and still look in keeping with it's VP-ness (Esp. if you find VP centre caps) - I don't really think white cross-spokes would look as good; you'd just be making it look like an MG.

2: I'm here if you ever want to sell it.
      I do take your point but arn't the VP/GSi alloys 14"? I have been advised 15" is the minimum for such a powerful engine.

I think the white against the red and grey will be a good look but I will keep an open mind!!

Comment

Sounds like a great project, keep us updated with some pictures
        Not sure on the white wheels but I it could work with the grey lower half, will be interesting to see how it looks

Comment

There is already a T16 VP around I believe.

Should make a good project, just dont' be too disappointed if you don't hit 200bhp. Most T16's don't hit anywhere near their posted figures as standard.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I think you will need at least 15" wheels if you have a big brake kit to clear the calipers.
            Last edited by Jumturbo; 2nd March 2009, 19:27.
            sigpic
            63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
            'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
            '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
            '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
            'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
            '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
            'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Do love conversion stories like this, wolf in sheep's clothing. Don't like the sound of the white wheels mind. I always though 16" BRM alloys suited the maestro better than any, give it a more modern touch and would improve handling. Do you have prof the TI had only covered 60k before the engine was removed seemed to have had an easy life if correct.
              MG Maestro Turbo #500
              BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
              Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

I have the engine strapped down in the back of my estate. I will get some pics up tomorrow when I have the car too! I have no way of knowing if the engine is truely at 60k, only that the guy seemed genuine to me. He has been playing with engines for years and had a few 600ti's and thought highly of them.

I will have a look at the colours and try and sort out styling too as I could go all out turbo kit but would seem a shame in a way. I just want to suggest that it is a turbo in some way? A VP I think could be seen as an OAP's car if I keep it too original!!

Give forward your views! I will post up pics tomorrow to aid your opinions!

Comment

My apologies for the photoshop work; it's not up to my usual calibre, but it was a very quick colour change job from what I was trying to talk Oli into doing to his Mayfair (Instead of making another MG rep...)

This, Countrydude, is pretty much what I was suggesting in my post. Menacing yet classy all at once.
                  Attached Files
                  Sam Skelton

PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

I think if you have gone for a vp you might as well keep it vp for the effect or you will end up with a mish-mash of everything. If you wanted to suggest it was a turbo a efi would be better as it would suit a turbo kit. Still say BRM's for wheels although the above looks good. There's a picture somewhere of a blue race maestro with highly polished 14" Alloys and it looks spot on.
                    MG Maestro Turbo #500
                    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      I think if you have gone for a vp you might as well keep it vp for the effect or you will end up with a mish-mash of everything. If you wanted to suggest it was a turbo a efi would be better as it would suit a turbo kit. Still say BRM's for wheels although the above looks good. There's a picture somewhere of a blue race maestro with highly polished 14" Alloys and it looks spot on.
                      i'm not sure what BRM's are?

Captain Slow - Thanks for mocking up that pic, I am not sure but on 14" wheels the profile would have to be so low as to not damage the walls of the tyres. Maybe on 14" the speedo would be out? Also what width are they? I think 6j is the thinnest I could go for with the T16.

Also on a more practical basis they are very rare wheels and I would be hard pushed to find a set?

Comment

If you like the look of those wheels, but can't find a set, create the look the easy way - get a set of steel wheels and apply hubcaps!

Comment

I think they are currently on the car!

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                            i'm not sure what BRM's are?

Captain Slow - Thanks for mocking up that pic, I am not sure but on 14" wheels the profile would have to be so low as to not damage the walls of the tyres. Maybe on 14" the speedo would be out? Also what width are they? I think 6j is the thinnest I could go for with the T16.

Also on a more practical basis they are very rare wheels and I would be hard pushed to find a set?

5.5"J. Same as all X-spokes save Monties and Maestro Turbos IIRC.
                            Sam Skelton

Comment

Maestro Turbos had 5.5j, they look odd with 6J's on them. 280mm big brakes will need 15's. 16 inch BRM style dont do it for me, they are also 7J and tramline bad, dont do the handling much either.

Comment

Working...
                              X