No announcement yet.

VP T16 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seats look amazing! Are they from an 800?

Comment

• they are from a late spec 220 coupe.

Comment

• Nice. Maybe keep an eye out for a set. I have the vp ones and they are reasonably comfy but not as good and supportive as my old rover montego ones were! Good luck with the car mate! Looking good!

Comment

• Thanks for the compliment, the right seats can really set a car off and these are well suited.

Comment

• Here is a pic of the latest and I think the last modification to the car as I'd like a car to drive not a constant project and drain of any spare time I might have. I bought the head as the current one has a few noisy tappets, leaking cam seals. As a bonus the head has 270 cams and verniers.

The head has a small amount of damage to cylinder 1 most of this will come off with my plan of grinding down the surface of all hemispheres, only leaving a small amount of welding to be done which I'm hoping I can get done by a friend ho owes me a favor or 2! While I'm there I will take the valves out and generally tidy up, nothing too drastic as I don't know where all the waterways run.

I'm thinking this will be a winter project to take the maestro off the road and release back onto the road with new head next spring! This will be tough and I will miss driving it. But tbh it needs a new rear arch and some other areas need fettling so it seems well timed to do this at the same time.

Comment

• I was going to update this after tearing up the neighborhood in it, as well as the m seires polished inlet, I have a forge actuator with a 15psi spring set at a little over 1/2 hole hopefully this should give me around 16-17psi tbh if it is 15 I'll be happy as the spring is so tough I know my boost will be solid. Full samco coolant set, not fully fitted oweing to an issue with the lower coolant rail. I can see a way around it but lets hope tomorrow brings a better solution than cutting up a few hoses. As the picture shows I have gone for a 220 layout under a maestro bonnet. After much planning and tinkering (still more to come, note it isn't full of antifreeze yet!) I aim to get my 4 pots on tomorrow too.

Comment

• After that I'm quite chuffed with the next pic. I wanted to fit a ti washer bottle into the bumper to get rid of a bottle sitting in the engine bay. It fouled the bumper so that idea was binned but a friend was scrapping a mondeo and I spied a useable bottle. The washer motor uses reverse to feed the rear washer so I need to sort out some relays to reverse the polarity but for now I'll just use forwards and forget about the rear!

Honestly I didn't think I'd go down this route. I am fortunate to firstly get on well with Mark who runs silverstorm so I have access to his products and also his ideas on improving things. When the car was first put on the road I did see it as a building block and far from the finished article. I think it is nearing finished, or at least looking that way. But we all know about looks don't we
                What the photos don't show is the ap calipers are not far from being fitted, I'm waiting on a male to male fitting to go into the tf lines to then fit on the car. Annoyingly I got my measurements wrong and another 3.5mm needs to come off the discs so hopefully this will be done in the next few days.

Comment

• From memory the TF lines screw straight into the maestro standard ones.
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• no they don't. Female to female fittings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:L:OC:GB:1123

These are the fittings I'm using to use the standard pipes.

Comment

• Not a lot happening atm, just waiting on father to turn some discs down for the 4 pots and I'll slot them on. With a bit of luck that will be this week.

Under all the coolant hoses and stainless pipe fitting I have fitted a new forge actuator with a 15psi spring so I can get rid of all boost control and just use the actuator spring.

I was getting boost wavering around the 15 psi mark, backing off as it went through the rev range. This is a sign of a weak actuator spring so on standard items time to replace!

Everything but the fuel filter and cam belt engine mount is now in place making the 220 engine bay in a maestro 99% complete! I only know of this happening once before in Andy Nichols old maestro which is still around in some guise. Hopefully back on the road this or next week. As much as I do like driving my derv monty nothing clears out the cobwebs like a blast in the maestro, especially at 15 psi!! There are 2 Simon's on here who can vouch for this, one sat in it, the other got left behind it (He was driving a Golf, it had to be done:P)
                      Last edited by countrydude; 10th September 2011, 19:44.

Comment

• so if that's the expansion tank on the bulkhead where the washer-fluid bottle should be...where's the washer fluid bottle?
                        Regards
                        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

• Look a couple of posts up, it is inside the bumper, with a swan neck that sticks up just behind the drivers side headlight. It is a mondeo unit, perfect fit too!
                          Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                          so if that's the expansion tank on the bulkhead where the washer-fluid bottle should be...where's the washer fluid bottle?

Comment

• here:

Fits inside the bumper molding really well from a '94 mondeo

Comment

• I finally caught father in the workshop and I got to grips with the lathe and turned down a further 3.5mm off the discs, update of back up and running with better brakes, rock steady boost hopefully before the week is out!

Horrible job though turning down cast discs, grim. You get showered with hot shards of metal and you end up with a real task of cleaning down at the end as it just brakes up into fine particles which cover everything. Being cast iron they will pick up moisture from the air and corrode everything very quickly!

I have realised the maestro is my therapy, I can happily plod along in my monty diesel but it is much easier in the knowledge I have a nuts, all out rip snorter back at home!

Comment

• What can I say, my need is obviously so great I have the calipers fitted and blead up ready today!
                                I'll be on the road by tomorrow afternoon

Just need to sort out a rear wheel arch and front sill, I'm going down to the garage that is working on the rally maestro as they are doing such good work on Philip's car there, if anyone else has a good bodyshop relatively local to me please chip in now!!

Comment

Working...
                                X