No announcement yet.

VP T16 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've not changed one under 100k yet aside from on my ledbury van where they were put on with an airgun

Never had to change one that I've fitted so I guess 60k miles minimum.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• err, holy carp? I'd best have a look at my hubs all around then.

Comment

• The van ones are even more hardy. I changed the ones on my old camper at 200k and they were the originals. Mind you they are a lot bigger bearings.

Comment

• yes, I bought a set in error, steel caged too, very hardy. That will mean switching to 100 pcd and front drive flanges too, I was thinking of this anyway for the r200 rear hubs so I will keep it in mind.

Comment

• Van hubs are 4.5inch pcd.

Comment

• For the book: I can't remember my father's MG Maestro has ever received new bearings at the rear - at over 220k miles. Similar for the Montego estates (but we have not had these from new).

Regards,

Alexander
              http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

• I have fitted some very low mileage rear hubs with what I suspect to be original bearings! Oh for the record, they were tightened ft!

My tax is up for renewal at the end of jan. I'm thinking of taking the maestro off the road for a while as I have decided to go with a few more changes.

I'm going to fit an O series water pump and alternator. At the same time I will fit a manual rack so I can remove the T series ancillary housing off the front of the engine.

The manual rack will give a better feel of the road and simplify the hoses under the bonnet. Mainly the waterpump movement will allow for more room across the front of the engine. I don't know if I will but this does then allow ample room for a bigger turbo...

I was always thinking of a fat turbo for this car, I very narrowly missed a t28/t34 hybrid with this room and the right manifold will allow a better t3/t4 family setup. I'm not going to go sacrificing driveability or anything too rash here, if I even do this at all. The current turbo is a massive improvement over the standard unit and is ample for now.

Mainly I liked the idea of clearing the engine bay of all parts that could fatigue and that don't have to be there. In the process if I can loose a bit of weight and tidy up what I currently have fitted then I will do so.

I still have a complete stainless waterpipe set to fit, newly acquired samco waterpipes, 2.75" snakehead downpipe, M series cam covers and inlet plenum, so you can see there is plenty to do. I'll keep you all updated and get some pics up as the work commences.

Comment

• Not much of an update but managed to give wheels some paint and new rubber: 225 40's front and 215's rear. Better grip demands more power so running 15psi quick pic earlier:

Comment

• A few updates, I managed finally to fit the coupe seats, this is a relief as I was wondering what was the best solution. I ended up buying some rover 100 seats which fitted and were better than the original vp leather seats support wise. Then in an idle few mins on the internet I found a pdf on metropower telling me how to split and rebuild the seats onto the 100 seat bases!

A rare result for the maestro. I bought the seats for a fair price so I didn't mind ripping them up:

Sadly I had to break up the wiring to find a fault, this did give me a chance to get my final plan in place wiring wise so I was happy (or I am now!)

The mess:

The solution:

I gave the engine bay a good clean from winter, it is looking good now:

I have a few things planned which should be within the next few weeks so I'll update then. I'm just relieved to have everything wiring wise finished. With a new rotor arm, plugs, recent new filter, oil and filter the maestro is in devestating form! Ask any local drivers in the cb1 area!

Comment

• Nice update CD, thanks for posting it.
                      Regards
                      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

• Those seats look great!

Comment

• Thanks Chris, they are as confortable as they look! I'm chuffed to finally have fitted what I thought would be ultimate seats for this car. (even if it took nearly a year to fit them!)
                          Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
                          Those seats look great!

Comment

• An unique and impressive machine! You' ve achieved a great deal with this car....it's a credit to you!
                            sigpic
                            63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                            'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                            '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                            '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                            'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                            '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                            'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

• Thanks Jum, all my friends joke that I'm completely obsessed with it, which I don't deny! I don't think there are many cars that look like your Grandad should be driving it but will outperform 95% of cars on the road!
                              Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
                              An unique and impressive machine! You' ve achieved a great deal with this car....it's a credit to you!

Comment

• Yes I think the driver of a 57 plate VXR Astra on friday night got a bit of a shock at how fast my van is! Haha

Seats look exelent in there too!
                                Last edited by MG Maestro Van; 7th July 2011, 21:34. Reason: Seats

Comment

Working...
                                X