No announcement yet.

VP T16 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes on, and bedded in, stopping much better. The new actuator on the turbo is boosting up to 18psi and holding rock solid so it feels a lot faster than before. I have only been out in it a few times so far but it pulls relentlessly right up to the redline. In low gears it hits the limiter so quick, a really interesting and fundamental difference. A spring in an actuator has totally converted the power delivery.
    About ready for a dyno run I think...

Comment

• *jealous*
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• With this sort of power awailable - ever thought about putting the gearing from a Turbo Diesel (L-series?) in it?

Apart from the wheels my LPG's 1.3 looks very similar - but the differences underneath are quite - erm - large. I like your approach!

Regards,

Alexander
        http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

• The k7 gearset is well matched to the engine, I think if the diesel ratios were used the power band would be too high up and it would be a tricky downshift to keep in boost. It would still be good once within the right rev range but off the line I think it would suffer. I haven't seen it but I think there is a spreadsheet that shows the ratios. I remember being told 2nd gear on a derv box would give 90mph @ 6000rpm. So top speed would be huge but really it would be quite unusable compared to now when no matter what speed there is always a gear to select and you're not far off boost.

Comment

• Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
            *jealous*
            A lot of the credit for this car does go to Rover forums and my questioning nature. Without them this car would never have existed. I will have to make some time one year soon to come to a show so you can all see this car in the flesh. I'm a bit of a perfectionist as you can probably see in this thread, so it is difficult for me to be happy enough to show it. In the next year or so it should be 'finished'!

I'll get a quick vid up soon, my parents genuinely live on an approx mile long private road. It is a narrow farm drive so it is pretty gnarly but it will give a great idea of the nature of the beast.

I'm thinking of a dyno run possibly next week sometime, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by countrydude View Post
              my parents genuinely live on an approx mile long private road. It is a narrow farm drive so it is pretty gnarly but it will give a great idea of the nature of the beast.

You also have your own drag strip!
              Maybe instead of you coming to a show we could all come to you and do some 1/4 mile runs!

Great work!
              sigpic
              63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
              'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
              '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
              '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
              'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
              '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
              'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
                Maybe instead of you coming to a show we could all come to you and do some 1/4 mile runs!

Great work!
                haha, if anyone is passing cambridge they are welcome to drop me a message if they would like a quick blast out in a crazy maestro!

Comment

• Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                  haha, if anyone is passing cambridge they are welcome to drop me a message if they would like a quick blast out in a crazy maestro!
                  Now there's a plan to keep in mind - as we visit Cambridge about every year sometimes during our holidays. And always bring something BMC->Rover - last time a VP 1300 automatic - surely a little contrast to your VP 2.0 EFi turbo 16v...

Regards,

Alexander
                  http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

• just booked into a rr session on tuesday. I'll post up then.

Comment

• Sadly developed a splutter low down at 2.5k and I think the turbo is smoking a bit. The power delivery seems irratic at times, especially when running on motorway for a bit. I have made contact about a rebuild and really thankfully the Rolling road owners were good enough to not mind too much me canceling right at the last minute! I'll keep tweaking and keep you posted, sadly not the post I was hoping for tonight!

Comment

• Check/change the leads as that is the point that they are most likely under the most stress! Also the rotor arms aren't exactly reliable either.
                        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• yes, i have been used to both of those, i now have magnacore leads and lucas cap and arm which i find so much better than anything else.

there is still an odd boost delivery once everything is up to temp. i wonder if the turbo is worse than i thought and the bearing is breaking up. Odd it is fine on the warn up though. the spluttering hasn't come back since we plugged the cam sensor back in but that has only been earlier today.

i did a compression test to eliminate engine blowing oil and it came out at around 147psi on each bore. they were so consistent.

Comment

• Dont want to worry you Phil,but this is just what my 16V did before the fast car test and the bastid had metled a piston

Comment

• i thought of that as i had det, even though i have forged pistons they aren't bomp proof! luckily with the boost wound right up i only did a few miles as i knew it could be detting.

i did a compression test yesterday, 148 ish across all bores so engine is fine

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X