Modified Monty Rear Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Monty Rear Lights

Not to everyone's taste,but ive always been a fan of the "ferrari" style back light,or "afterburners",as they can be known...

So after spotting a fiat coupe,on the top pile,in the scrappy,i managed to get the rear lights out of it,for nowt,and set about modding the monty back lights... Here they are;

First up,take one old light unit,and cut the guts out off the back of it,helped by my dad,and a disc cutter...(i hope he dont slip with that!!)

Next,draw 2 circles,the size of the light ,and i used the cutter,to draw around.Ok,there are not quite centre,but still,its only a mock up....

Last edited by malpas820; 26th May 2009, 13:18.
    1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
    1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
    1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Holes cut out.....

Then held in by a bit of sticky tape,and view from inside the boot.plenty of room here,but it does mean chopping the wires,and re-wiring lator on...

Then the outside look,and at first seem odd,i agree,but once fitted properly,then either the rest of the standard unit gets coloured coded red,or gloss black,and paint the plinth gloss back too,so that the lights stand out...

Here phase one ,anyway....

Lit up....

Comment

Dont like to spoil your fun but it could technicaly fail an MOT as the brake and rear fog lights must be 100mm apart

Comment

They wont be used as a fog light,just side,and brake light.

There wont be any reverse light either (and not needed for m.o.t),but fog light could be placed underneath,like jap imports,and fitted once a year.??

Who use's fog lights,anyway??

Comment

looks good fella

what is it with dad's/slippers and an angle grinder ??

my dads the same

Comment

Looks ok but would be better if you sprayed the oriangal light cluters body colour

Comment

Originally posted by malpas820@hotmail.co View Post
              There wont be any reverse light either (and not needed for m.o.t)
              You're technically correct, but depending on the mood of the MOT tester and/or how well you know him, he could still try to pull you with the all-encompassing "all lights fitted must work" and argue that the car came with reversing-lights, even though technically he'd be wrong to do so.

I think you need to spray the original clusters either matt black or body-coloured. Imo it just looks a bit daft atm, though I can see what look you were after.
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Yep seconded, sure that would look good either red or black around the new lights..

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

I agree you've got to paint the original lights either black/grey or preferably body colour for them to look right.

There is nothing in the MOT that says that all fitted lights have to work, which is why reverse lights, fog lights and even driving lights aren't part of the test.
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                    There is nothing in the MOT that says that all fitted lights have to work
                    Correct, what it actually says is all *obligatory* lights must work, and that's the bit which seems open to interpretation
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Reverse lights, front fogs, and driving lights aren't obligatory though as they aren't required for the statutory lighting regs.
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Quite right, but a quick browse around the 'net shows that there have been quite a few people whose cars have (wrongly!) failed an MOT because of inoperative reversing-lights. It certainly pays to know what the law says in advance
                        Regards
                        John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Glad your doing this on the front room carpet, much more comfy
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

,nice one jeff!! In fact ,thats our "shed",where the bikes are parked,and the carpet in there,is better,than our front room!!

Good 'ol dad,with his slipper's ,and the first thing he says is "where's my reader's (glasses),and let me take a look,son"!!

We currently have a suzuki bandit 1200 (mine) honda blackbird (dad's),and yes,im going to restore the suzuki cs125 scooter,in pink...(mine too)

But thats another story....

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X