No announcement yet.

Lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I scrape everywhere, the downpipe bout another 1/2" lower than that aswel, i have to take real care going everywhere and yep my spine does all the work as the shocks are set to max stifness. It sits on spax coilovers 95mm drop front and 80mm rear

Comment

Originally posted by Bedworth View Post
      I scrape everywhere, the downpipe bout another 1/2" lower than that aswel, i have to take real care going everywhere and yep my spine does all the work as the shocks are set to max stifness. It sits on spax coilovers 95mm drop front and 80mm rear
      I just took all the wheels off my car. Proper slammed it.

Seriously though, I'd hate to think I'd ballsed my car up and made it harder or unbearable to drive on already very bad roads. Austin/Rover models are actually very comfortable and already offer very good compromise between ride and handling.

Do you intend to take either of them on a track?
      Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
      VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
      J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

in the distant future the punto may be tracked, but in june its going to nurburgring which will be funny. Am looking at sticking a custom 1.4 t-jet engine running bout 250bhp

but the maestro just my little runabout and agreed are soo cumfortable

Comment

Fatboy, which top spring cup do you use on the front. Do you completely discard the old top cup assembly and use maybe golf? Also, as the golf front springs are narrower in diameter, how do they sit in the standard front shock? Or should I say, how do the adjusters sit in the standard shock?
          The kit arrived today and looks excellent. Even if I only get the rears to work, it's still excellent value. Can't believe they're sent free delivery too, weigh a ton!

Hey, Bedworth, it's now wonder your parents wont let you lower the Maestro. For a car 'that low' the insurance must be 'sky high'. Your parents will have to re-mortgage their house! Maybe they'll come round if you explain that Maestro kits will only take you down
          2", not 8!
          Last edited by Jumturbo; 30th April 2010, 15:52.
          sigpic
          63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
          'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
          '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
          '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
          'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
          '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
          'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

i'm gonna use the maestro top cups on the front because thats all i got at the moment,i'm fitting the fronts tomorrow afternoon after work

the bag with all the orings is to pad out the alloy sleeve around the standard shock and the big rubber washers go either end of the spring,mine didnt come with the grub screws to secure the alloy sleeve but i'll be fitting them tommorow ,perks of my job

i'm on the look out for some big flat washers to replace the top cups on the rear so the spring fits better and will do the same with the fronts

i've fitted the rears in this order
            o rings to pad out shock
            alloy sleeve
            flat nut on the bottom and the raised centre nut on top
            rubber spring washer
            spring
            rubber spring washer
            plastic cup
            maestro top cup
            rubber mount with steel insert
            nut
            rubber mount
            washer
            nut

they really are a bargain and im sure you could fit them to alot of other cars with a similar suspension set up to ours

Comment

Thanks Fatboy, post some pics up to give a better idea!
              sigpic
              63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
              'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
              '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
              '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
              'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
              '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
              'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
                Thanks Fatboy, post some pics up to give a better idea!
                I would appreciate that! The list fatboy gave seems very long. If I can get a set that would sort out the maestro, no more grazing speed bumps. Some roads are no go areas atm!

Comment

fitted the fronts yesterday and found the maestro top cups are to high, on the lowest setting its standard ride height

im going to get some 90mm flat washers to replace the top cups and that should give aprox 3 inch drop or i might order a golf top cup to see the difference

if it stops raining today i'll get the camera out

also fitted a different rear box yesterday to stop my ears from bleeding, i managed to burn my fingers and smack my head on the ramp within seconds ,so by 4pm i was ready for a ice cold cider

Comment

When I first went to that ebay link for the springs I thought 'bloody idiot'...
                    until I realised the Golf is such a rip-off suspension wise to the MM.

I have plenty of lowered springs and shocks so although tempted i probably won't... 'but' those screw sleeves alone should cost that price (Jum, did you get the grub screws to fix the sleeves to the shock tubes?) might tempt me just to use on a classic sports car i have that could do with the springs being lifted a tad. What dia are the sleeves?

Another reason I won't buy them for my Monty is I have the Golf anti-roll bar links, I don't want my Monty becoming a VW Monty! Thank god it's got a Honda box and not a VW one.

Comment

Working...
                    X